playing 1s from rigth

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
bravenewtube

playing 1s from rigth

Post by bravenewtube »

Hi,
I see many people play their clued 1s from rigth.
I could not figure out myself where is the gain with this move.

Could anyone one explain me?

And does this convention only hold for the first time clue or is it still on if you're clued playable 1s later?
Is it widely adopted?

Thanks in advance for helping
Regards,
Romain672

Re: playing 1s from rigth

Post by Romain672 »

Hi,
#pub : https://boardgamearena.com/#!forum/view ... 02&t=12502
Imagine two situations: a hand like ?-1r-1r-?-1g and a hand like ?-1g-1r-?-1r
If you play leftmost first, first situation is bad. Second is fine.
If you play rightmost first, first situation is fine. For the second, you have the choice to wait him to discard his 1r for clueing 1. So it’s perfect.
So rightmost first give the best results.

If you still doesn’t know why it work with 1 and not others clue (like 2 or a color clue), it’s because these 1 are on starting hand, the others players got not possibility to clue that earlier.
If you imagine a situation where everybody have 0~1 clue while 3 turns, and you receive a clue like ?-?-3-?-3, and only one 3 is playable, it’s more logic to assume your rightmost is playable. But conventionally, it’s your leftmost who are playable.
For your others question, it's really situational.
The main thing to check is the position of your 1. Are they on chop (?-1-?-?-1) or did you just draw them (1-?-?-1-?)? On the first situation, the rightmost seem playable. On the second, it's the leftmost.

Now, with this clue 1-?-?-?-1 : did the others players got the time to clue your rightmost 1 earlier (or did you just discarded a playable 1, so your rightmost 1 is nearly always another copy of this 1)? If yes, the leftmost seem playable (with a goot doubt). If not (per example, if you just discarded another 1 not playable), then it's the rightmost who seem playable.
I suggest you to not clue the 1 on this situation if the rightmost 1 is useless, but instead to wait another turn/the discard of the rightmost 1, it made things way simple.
But there is still some situation where you should do that clue, for example if you think your chop are valuable (per example, no bluff on you possible since the start, and others players who discard a lot and let you do all the clues).
Is it widely adopted?
Yes it is. I would say perhaps 80/90% of masters would do it. Please note it change (nearly) nothing if you got only two 1 on your hand since either they are duplicate one so it change nothing. Or either both are playable.
My other example with 3 seem adopted too (since there is not risk to play a wrong 3 since all 2 are played), but situations who are more borderline isn't with 'random' bga players (since doing unconventionnal things can lead to play an already discarded 3 so you lose directly 3 points) :( Top players would take a lot of others things on consideration for having hints about what to do (like mainly the last card you discard).
Last edited by Romain672 on 09 May 2019, 20:59, edited 2 times in total.
bravenewtube

Re: playing 1s from rigth

Post by bravenewtube »

Thanks for your quick and helpful answer.
Makes more sense to me now!

Regards,

Return to “Hanabi”