Game Improvements

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
CraWleR

Game Improvements

Post by CraWleR »

So pikiou suggested the admins to give me write permissions to the game, so we can start looking at making some improvements. I'm the one who had broken the 'or end action phase' button for under 12 hours, but hopefully I'll make up for it ;)

I've been going through the reported game bugs and closing them up. Some were outdated, some were opened due to not fully understanding the rules, some are genuine bugs that I'm planning to look into.

I work best in an organised and consistent fashion, so I want to make a list of things I'm planning to work on and in what order. I'm looking for suggestions as well and I've been receiving some good ones, but it's becoming difficult to keep track of all of them, so I think making a list would definitely help all of us.

Things I'm going to work on:
  1. Automatic re-rolls:
    DaikaSan wrote:- I get this idea from Dice Forge game. In there, you can automatically exchange gold to progress the heroic feat that need gold. I think this game can do it for Relentless and Cruel command card to automatically reroll if the owner lose. Of course you can turn it off if you purposely want to reroll to lose or anything. This would hasten the game in turn-based mode since you don't need to ask opponent again every battle that can be changed.
  2. Add Gordian knot and Event horizon maps. Currently marked in the code as "(not available, too large)"
  3. Look into whether it's possible to go back 2 turns when undoing a turn to make sure a ship becomes unselected.
  4. Look into improving game options (table creation) rules to at least avoid some existing bugs
  5. Add highlighting to show available squares your ship can move to, when you have a ship selected. In particular, include the transport out options (beginners seem to not be clear about being able to transport out diagonally)
Things that I feel like I can't change without changing how BGA works:
  1. using scrappy with reconfigure, you can end up with the same ship you started with - I feel like this could be added as an option before beginning the game. Sadly, the current table creation screen is not up to it in my opinion.
  2. Updating RELOCATION to Revised Edition:
    RELOCATION
    IMMEDIATELY MOVE A QUANTUM CUBE
    Move another player's quantum cube to a planet without one of their cubes.
    https://imgur.com/a/CYRsmoC
To look into:
  1. Undo all actions:
    DaikaSan wrote:- I get this idea from Through The Ages game in here. In there, you can undo all your moves that can be undone. I see Quantum can do that as well. Usually after i spent all of my action, i found a better moves but it's a pain to undo to the beginning. By adding so, i can just one click rather than 3 clicks (or more by using command card, ships ability, etc.). Of course this should respect that you can only undo as far as possible.
  2. Add some tips to explain edge cases to users. Ideally only show them when those kind of situations happen or have the possibility of happening. For example:
    1. Quantum entanglement
    2. The fact that your command cards only take effect at the start of next turn (e.g. if you get to pick 2 cards, then you can't pick Stealthy and Expansion and use Stealthy to deploy that new ship)
    3. The fact that you have Curious enabled
If you have any other suggestions - let me know. I'm happy to discuss and if we can come up with a feasible solution - I can add it to the list.
Last edited by CraWleR on 18 October 2018, 12:51, edited 17 times in total.
DaikaSan

Re: Game Improvements

Post by DaikaSan »

- I get this idea from Dice Forge game. In there, you can automatically exchange gold to progress the heroic feat that need gold. I think this game can do it for Relentless and Cruel command card to automatically reroll if the owner lose. Of course you can turn it off if you purposely want to reroll to lose or anything. This would hasten the game in turn-based mode since you don't need to ask opponent again every battle that can be changed.

- I get this idea from Through The Ages game in here. In there, you can undo all your moves that can be undone. I see Quantum can do that as well. Usually after i spent all of my action, i found a better moves but it's a pain to undo to the beginning. By adding so, i can just one click rather than 3 clicks (or more by using command card, ships ability, etc.). Of course this should respect that you can only undo as far as possible.
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

DaikaSan wrote:- I get this idea from Dice Forge game. In there, you can automatically exchange gold to progress the heroic feat that need gold. I think this game can do it for Relentless and Cruel command card to automatically reroll if the owner lose. Of course you can turn it off if you purposely want to reroll to lose or anything. This would hasten the game in turn-based mode since you don't need to ask opponent again every battle that can be changed.

- I get this idea from Through The Ages game in here. In there, you can undo all your moves that can be undone. I see Quantum can do that as well. Usually after i spent all of my action, i found a better moves but it's a pain to undo to the beginning. By adding so, i can just one click rather than 3 clicks (or more by using command card, ships ability, etc.). Of course this should respect that you can only undo as far as possible.
I like both ideas. Adding to the "to look into" section :D
TheRealWVMan

Post by TheRealWVMan »

Good job on fixing the ENERGETIC-TACTICAL cards! Glad to see Quantum is getting some more development love. :D
TheRealWVMan

Post by TheRealWVMan »

Maybe something for your list: I would like to see an "are you sure?" prompt in the special case where you click on a 6 after you cancel another special ability action or just have the cancel action cancel both the ship selection AND the special ability selection. I have accidentally re-rolled a 6 several times in this situation [Yes. I have played a lot of games :) ] and seen others do the same. It bothers me no matter who does it. Because this obviously this would not occur IRL.
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

TheRealWVMan wrote:Maybe something for your list: I would like to see an "are you sure?" prompt in the special case where you click on a 6 after you cancel another special ability action or just have the cancel action cancel both the ship selection AND the special ability selection. I have accidentally re-rolled a 6 several times in this situation [Yes. I have played a lot of games :) ] and seen others do the same. It bothers me no matter who does it. Because this obviously this would not occur IRL.
Maybe we should add a prompt to reconfiguring a 6 when its special ability is available in general?

When you try to attack with a 1 when it's special ability is available, it suggest using it instead.
2, 3 and 4 special abilities can be undone.
5 special ability is automatic and basically can be undone as well.
6 is the only weird exception here.

Would it make sense? Let me know :)
TheRealWVMan

Post by TheRealWVMan »

Indeed it is the only weird exception. I suppose it could be a general thing like the one works. I was just thinking that might be over kill as I only ever get bit by it when I try to undo another action. However, that may not be the case for everyone and you don't re-roll a six all that often. Certainly doing it either way would be an improvement over the current situation.
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

TheRealWVMan wrote:Indeed it is the only weird exception. I suppose it could be a general thing like the one works. I was just thinking that might be over kill as I only ever get bit by it when I try to undo another action. However, that may not be the case for everyone and you don't re-roll a six all that often. Certainly doing it either way would be an improvement over the current situation.
I'm glad I'm not the only one accidentally clicking a button when undoing :D The 'or end action turn' used to ruin games for me :D

Overall, I feel like asking confirmations for things that are NOT reversible is preferred. Quantum turns can be a combination of anywhere from 1 to 10 or even more actions. Some of them are reversible, some aren't. Being transparent about what is and isn't is fine to me, even if I have to click a few more buttons. The frustration of clicking an extra button in my opinion is not comparable to the site doing the wrong thing.

Added the following to the list:
CraWleR wrote: 4. Confirmation dialog for Reconfiguring a 6. If while doing a normal reconfigure the special ability is available - suggest using that instead. Otherwise - just mention that that action is not reversible.
6. Look into whether it's possible to go back 2 turns when undoing a turn to make sure a ship becomes unselected.
Jakee

Post by Jakee »

So glad for the work you are doing on the game!

I fully support prompting before all non-reversible actions.

I strongly support allowing defaults for cruel/relentless, that would be a huge boon to QoL for turn based. I do fear that here and there the odd person may forget to turn it off for cases where they would have preferred losing, but somewhat rare and it can cut down time a lot.

Undo all actions option would need a confirmation cause I can imagine accidental press being a bit frustrating, still better than clicking undo 6 times.

Back two turns to unselect a ship is interesting. There are a lot of times it would benefit me, my one concern is I am so used to it now, but I believe unselect on undo is better and I could learn again.

Again so glad you are doing this.
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

Cool beans! Glad to receive feedback and confirmation! :D

Return to “Quantum”