Same number of lines as English problem

BGA localization discussions
Evreka

Same number of lines as English problem

Post by Evreka »

I've tried several times now to translate longer email letter texts from English (to Swedish) but I imagine this problem is not necessarily language specific. Every time I get a red "X" for not matching the original message's number of line breaks.
* I've tried making my text match the same appearance as the English one by adding line breaks in the same places - doesn't work.
* I've tried to just replace the machine translated words (where appropriate) and leave the text in a jumble with no line breaks - doesn't work.

I don't know if it is an issue with actual hard line breaks or whether it might be that certain words/sentences in Swedish is either longer or shorter than the original in some places?

Has anyone else ever hit this problem and how did you solve it?
qwertasdfg

Re: Same number of lines as English problem

Post by qwertasdfg »

It's never about any words being shorter or longer. That requirement only concerns hard line breaks \n

If you want to have a better look at where real line breaks are you can drag both the English and the Swedish text boxes so that they are a bit larger
Evreka

Post by Evreka »

qwertasdfg wrote: 13 July 2019, 07:54 It's never about any words being shorter or longer. That requirement only concerns hard line breaks \n

If you want to have a better look at where real line breaks are you can drag both the English and the Swedish text boxes so that they are a bit larger
Thanks for the clarification, I'll try that. :)
cigma

Post by cigma »

I have the same problem now with the flavour texts of Copenhagen. I wonder why there are hard line breaks at all. Shouldn't this be corrected in the original english text?
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Joe

Post by Joe »

To see the line breaks you could copy the texts say into Word and show hidden characters...
Een

Post by Een »

cigma wrote: 26 April 2022, 08:34 I have the same problem now with the flavour texts of Copenhagen. I wonder why there are hard line breaks at all. Shouldn't this be corrected in the original english text?
Depending on the context of using the translation, line breaks can be important for proper display.
Sometimes, it can also be a mistake from the developer when copy pasting the text from a resource such as a PDF for example. This mistake may or may not have any consequences on the display (since in some contexts, line breaks are just ignored).

The translation system enforces respecting the number of line breaks included by the developer because it can be important. But what matters is the end result; if the display is incorrect in the game, it should be reported to the developer for fixing in the code. Otherwise, no need to create extra work by changing the source text, as that would just force a retranslation in all languages.
cigma

Post by cigma »

Thank you for your explanation, Een!
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)

Return to “Translations”