Problems with dishonest translator

BGA localization discussions
Savama

Problems with dishonest translator

Post by Savama »

Player Shummi is using google-translate to translate games in Ukrainian language that he/she doesn't speak at all. I corrected obvious mistakes but player keeps restoring his/her invalid google translations. I wrote several messages asking a person to stop translating in a language that he/she doesn't understand. However, player keeps ignoring messages and continues to translate just to get translation points not caring about the quality or whatever.
Please, admins take some measures to resolve this situation.
Thank you.
Een

Re: Problems with dishonest translator

Post by Een »

Hi,

Please note that any complaint about player misbehaviour, including translations, has to be handled through the report system, not a public forum.

You should go to the profile of this player, click "report this player" and include all relevant information notably examples of bad translations and why they are bad. Please remember that admins don't speak your language so please give clear and detailed examples.

You can also contact this player by private message to try to resolve the difficulty by discussing it. Sometimes people make mistakes while being well intentioned and just talking about it is enough to solve the problem.
Savama

Post by Savama »

I've written several private messages to discuss the problem but the player keeps ignoring them and continues to google-translate.

Thank you, Een
Een

Post by Een »

Thanks for creating a report, I'll look into this over the weekend.
Savama

Post by Savama »

Thank you, Een!
Savama

Post by Savama »

Well, the problem with bad Ukrainian localization is not over yet. There appeared a player okol (accounted created - 10 / 23 / 2019) who renews wrong Ukrainian translation made by player Shummi. Shummi was reported and banned from Ukrainian translations.

Account okol was created two days AFTER player Shummi was banned.
Player okol pretends he/she is from Ukraine but doesn’t answer any private messages.
I assume that player Shummi created account okol (or asked a friend which is less likely) to get translation points. It’s just pathetic and creates a lot of trouble.

I’m tired of correcting bad translations again and again. I created a report about player okol.
Een, I’m writing here just to ask you to stop these cheaters as soon as possible that I have less translation mistakes to correct.

Thank you!
okol

Post by okol »

User Savama is a dishonest translator. He replaces many translations of other users with his translation. In many translations he just changes 1 letter similar to another letter from another language and that's his whole translation. He decided that only he could translate better than anyone and no one else. It's not fair.
Savama

Post by Savama »

I've been translating to Ukrainian from 2013 and made 26000 confirmed translations.
Player okol renews wrong google-translation made by player Shummi.
Transanslations be Shummi were proved wrong and he/she was banned from Urainian translation.

Player okol didn't answer any private messages to clear the situation.
And yes, player okol have no ethical right to "translate" into language that he/she don't speak or understand at all.
That's why I don't want to see ANY of your translations in Ukrainian localizaton even if they are accidentally right. Period.

P.S. I have no problems with any other Ukrainian speaking users whatsoever.
Savama

Post by Savama »

Thank you, Een!
Een

Post by Een »

The translation guidelines states that only native speakers should translate in a given language.
https://boardgamearena.com/faq?anchor=faq_translations

@okol, if you are not a native Ukrainian speaker, you should not translate in Ukrainian.
The objective is to have quality translation. Even fixing just one letter if it's wrong is not dishonest, it's improving the quality of the translation.

I'll close this thread and handle the report.
@okol, if you want to appeal the case, please follow the procedure in the email you'll get from the report.

@Savama, please don't duplicate reports by posting in the forum. If a case needs a special attention, please bring our attention to it by a private message.

Return to “Translations”