Should i translate name of a card?

BGA localization discussions
aldwin160

Should i translate name of a card?

Post by aldwin160 »

Hello, i am from Indonesia. Can i ask some question?

I was trying to translate "7 Wonders" game into Bahasa Indonesia. While i was translating, i found a phrase "The Statue of Zeus in Olympia", the name of a wonder in that game. In my opinion, it is better to just let the name be in english, rather than translate it into Bahasa Indonesia (will become "Patung Zeus di Olimpia"). But, i saw some validated translation that use "Patung Zeus di Olimpia".

I realize that i will face this translate issue again in the future. So, what do you guys think? Should i translate name of cards or just let it be?
KongKing123

Re: Should i translate name of a card?

Post by KongKing123 »

I would assume no knowledge of English and translate as much as possible, to maximise accessibility. Card names are important to understand a game. In official rulebook translations they are usually translated as well, for example: https://www.7wonders.net//storage/downl ... 840Ulj.pdf

Imagine if 7 Wonders was originally in Greek, but the translators thought the card you're referring to should be left untranslated because it's a Greek wonder. I wouldn't really know what happened if "Player X builds for free with Άγαλμα του Ολυμπίου Διός" appeared on my screen. :)
diamant

Re: Should i translate name of a card?

Post by diamant »

The two authors of 7 Wonders Duel are French, and I don’t see how English would matter at all for this game.

Therefore, for all the players who have not chosen English for the display of the texts of this game on BGA, it seems obvious to me that no string in English should remain.

Return to “Translations”