Unused and missing strings + suggestions

BGA localization discussions
Liallan

Re: Unused and missing strings + suggestions

Post by Liallan »

Een wrote:
Een wrote:And I guess I thought that's what you were trying to solve?
Actually no, because I don't think that this can be solved. There is no way to go to the appropriate page directly from the translator, since the pages use the strings, but the strings don't know which page (or pages) will use them (and considering the dynamic nature of the website, creating this information by analysing the code would be really difficult even if possible).

The in place editor would be convenient, and maybe replace the current translator as the favourite way of translating (translators could just use the site then when seeing an untranslated string, toggle translating to translate it). So it would be more a workaround than a solution to the absence of context in the current translator, and an easy way to fix mistakes when chancing upon them. But in essence, like you said it would be the same as opening a new tab to the translator to search for the string.
I get you. When someone asked about context, you linked to this thread, so I assumed you were calling this a "solution" to that. Guess not.

But as long as we're on it, quite personally, I would not want to get rid of the current translator. (Though I wouldn't mind some improvements to it, but that's a different subject, and in my opinion not at the top of the list.) Mostly because I will tend to just go through that. When I'm actually playing a game or reading something on the site, I do find things in context and then go hunt them down in the translator. However, I also go to the translator and go through the strings, especially the newer things. That way, as much as possible is getting fixed in batches. I think this can help with consistency, with things that rarely come up during an actual game, etc. The sooner those are fixed in English, the better it is for those trying to translate.

(I guess the short way to say that: it feels better to me to fix all at once or "grouped" batches, especially those translating to other languages.)

I do a combination of both - if I choose to go through the translator, I'll then run through a re-play, or even watch a live game, just trying to catch some of the things I wasn't sure about.

Return to “Translations”