Persian/Farsi for BGA

BGA localization discussions
kharebozorg

Persian/Farsi for BGA

Post by kharebozorg »

Salaam!

I looked at translation section and couldn't find Persian (Farsi/فارسی) language. I will be happy to contribute to Persian translation if you add it to the website.

However, I had a question too: Farsi is written from right to left. Does the website's layout support RtL languages such as Persian or Arabic? And if not, do you have any specific plans to support it?

Movafagh bashid!
Een

Re: Persian/Farsi for BGA

Post by Een »

Hello!
Thanks for your interest in translating BGA in your language!

We have opened the possibility to translate to Farsi in the translation center:
https://boardgamearena.com/#!translationhq?lang=fa_IR
(NB: we usually make the translation available for everyone when the translation for the 'mainsite' module reaches about 75%)

Unfortunately, BGA's layout hasn't been designed with RtL languages in mind.
It would probably be difficult to change, especially for games, which have very specific interfaces.
We don't have any plans to work on this in the near future.

BGA has been translated in Hebrew which is an RtL language, but we haven't had any specific feedback on how that translation fits into a LtR website.
kharebozorg

Post by kharebozorg »

Well ... I've encountered a problem.

While translating the strings, I found out that the strings that have both Farsi and English words appear in the reverse order. For example, suppose that we have a string that starts and ends with a Farsi word and has an English words in between. It should look like this:
*Farsi word #2* *English word* *Farsi word #1*
But right now, this string looks like this:
*Farsi word #1* *English word* *Farsi word #2*

Similarly, if a string ends with with a punctuation mark, the mark appears at the right side instead of left.

The problem is inevitable because even if we try to translate all of the words of each string to Farsi, Many strings may contain English variables such as usernames that are untranslatable.

I've changed the language of the website to Hebrew and noticed that they have the very same problem too.

Any idea?
Een

Post by Een »

Thanks for your feedback.
I did some reading about rtl, and it looks like to give it at least a small chance to work, we'll need to add the direction html attribute in some places :)

I updated the translation page to use proper direction for the 'translated' textarea. It looks like it works, but please tell me if that's really the case.

Next week, I'll try to apply rtl direction at the root level with Hebrew to see how it goes with the website (this will probably break the layout, but well, we can at least try and see if it can be fixed easily or if we should just forget about it ;) )
kharebozorg

Post by kharebozorg »

Thank you. The translation section looks good. Good luck with the editing of website's codes.

Just a question: Is there any way we can check where does each string come from? Some strings can be translated different ways depending on the situation they are being used.
Een

Post by Een »

kharebozorg wrote:Just a question: Is there any way we can check where does each string come from? Some strings can be translated different ways depending on the situation they are being used.
Unfortunately no, the strings to translate are extracted from the website code, so there is no reference to context. Usually we advise to translate as litterally as possible, then once the site is open in that language, to fix context errors found while browsing the website.

For Farsi, with RtL to take into account, I think I'll open the site in Farsi next week too so that you can see how it goes while you translate (I would not want you to spend a lot of time translating then find out that at some point that something can't work...)
Een

Post by Een »

Hi,

RtL adjustments have been applied to the website and Farsi has been opened, so you can check https://fa.boardgamearena.com/ to see how your translations apply (NB: translations are updated once per day).

Let me know how it goes!

Return to “Translations”