Allow translations to regular players

BGA localization discussions
ollyfish2002

Allow translations to regular players

Post by ollyfish2002 »

Hello
I discover yesterday that at the end of hanabi, in french you have "n tourne à gauche" !
Someone who is not an hanabi player has been able to modify the translation of "n turns left".
Could it be possible to restrict modifying translations to regular players, not to anyone?
I did not get why this sentence was not locked for a while!
Thanks
Een

Re: Allow translations to regular players

Post by Een »

ollyfish2002 wrote: Could it be possible to restrict modifying translations to regular players, not to anyone?
Translations are already restricted (karma >= 80%, language declared as spoken in the player preferences, more than 100 validated translations needed to be able to change validated translations).
Restricting it further could defeat the purpose of a collaborative translation system, so we have to be cautious.
ollyfish2002 wrote: I did not get why this sentence was not locked for a while!
Thanks
In fact those strings are new (April) in the translation system, so they must have been changed by the developer working on the non-official variant and had to be translated again.
ollyfish2002

Post by ollyfish2002 »

Ok, but the first translater has never played hanabi on BGA.
Een

Post by Een »

ollyfish2002 wrote:Ok, but the first translater has never played hanabi on BGA.
Yes, but when we release a new game, that's the case for everyone, and we still want the game to be translatable immediately :)
Translators don't always follow the guidelines for translation stating that they should (if possible) know the game before translating.
Still, most of the time, translation goes well and mistakes such as the one you noticed get fixed quickly. Thanks for fixing it by the way!
ollyfish2002

Post by ollyfish2002 »

Hello
Back to translations I have made, there are translators that just modify by uppercase, lowercase translations and are credited for the translation. I agree when I have a mistake, but changing the case of letters seems to be a specialty for some translators (I have read some discussions and I have seen I am not the only one who can complain).
Why not a minimal change to be credited?
"Mode Avancé" to " Mode avancé" really makes the difference...
Een

Post by Een »

ollyfish2002 wrote:Hello
Back to translations I have made, there are translators that just modify by uppercase, lowercase translations and are credited for the translation. I agree when I have a mistake, but changing the case of letters seems to be a specialty for some translators (I have read some discussions and I have seen I am not the only one who can complain).
Why not a minimal change to be credited?
"Mode Avancé" to " Mode avancé" really makes the difference...
Hello,
It's understandable to feel that such changes are small compared to the initial translation, but the goal is to have the best translation possible (including proper capitalization), so it is actually an improvement. The advice I can give here is to pay attention to capitalization when translating, so that it doesn't need to be changed afterwards ;)

Return to “Translations”