Race for the Galaxy: What does "Sas" mean?

BGA localization discussions
LennyLinux

Race for the Galaxy: What does "Sas" mean?

Post by LennyLinux »

In Alien Artifacts the word "Sas" is used to refer to the airlock space. But what does it mean? Sometimes it says airlock, sometimes Sas. How should I translate it?
Liallan

Re: Race for the Galaxy: What does "Sas" mean?

Post by Liallan »

The English rules just call them airlock cards and they're listed that way in the components. SAS wouldn't translate, but French for airlock is selle, so it stands to reason that's what an S was for, but in the end, they're just airlock cards.

EDIT: I'm looking at the strings now, in English. And yeah it's saying SAS, which is not a translation to English at all. It's possible no one knows what that stands for, since it's initials, so it just got written into the English game as SAS. I was looking at rules that I got off RGG, but let me look at the what is linked here and make sure of how it's worded in those rules. If all of it says "airlock," I'm going to find all those strings and change them so it'll be consistent.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

OK... the rules linked here are exactly what I have. I searched for SAS which doesn't exist anywhere, then searched "airlock" to see what context it was being used in and how it fit into the game. I went ahead and changed most of it, and worded them in ways that match the rules. If something seems odd to someone who has played it, in context, let us know, but I think it should be OK. I assume that will be up tomorrow.

I didn't finished because there's two types of airlock cards and I'm not sure of everything about the second kind, and want to find a bit better context through the rules. Though I did not find any logic behind using SAS at some points and airlock at others. I think keeping SAS was just accidental.

And don't be surprised if you see some other stuff changing. There are some things that... aren't quite right. ;) (Like "overwriting" cards - um, you "cover" cards. You can't "overwrite" a card. You overwrite data.)
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

I pretty much fixed all the "Sas"s I found.

But I've run across some other things. A guy in my group has this expansion and he brought it last night and I discussed a few things with him.

We are stumped on "You must place the new airlock card which is in your hand." This caught my attention because the wording is a bit awkward, and I also did not think airlock cards were ever in your hand. He confirmed that. He said the only way to place the extra airlock cards was with the Alien Research Ship cards. (And there also is some special card that allows you to place an airlock and then your second team.)

Does anyone know the context of the above statement? If an airlock card can never be in your hand, it doesn't make any sense at all.
LennyLinux

Post by LennyLinux »

I'm not sure, but I think the rules say they are in your hand but also explicitly mentions them not counting towards your hand limit.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

I'm going to have to leave that alone. According to the rules, the two small airlock cards are set aside, and not in your hand. And then other cards/events cause those to then be placed in the orb. So I don't get this.

Return to “Translations”