Previous modifications

BGA localization discussions
LightKnight

Previous modifications

Post by LightKnight »

Hello, sorry, new problem I've been facing. :P
The point is I had never been there in the very first moments of a translation, so I was less likely to face it.
Sometimes, I'm translating without knowing it's been translated in the moment I was reading and writing. And twice it was a big problem, cause I could appear as a bad translator who doesn't care about others' justifications and so on. I came in both cases just after a modification of diamant which I couldn't see, and that was right, modifiying, if I can say, half, whereas he was completing ; since I came after (which I didn't know), it appeared as if I didn't put the half better but the half worst. The second time was the worst, because I came after a non-justified "La cabane perchée", and thus removed the "perchée" which seemed to be useless ; but meanwhile, diamant had come to justify the "perchée", by the fact it's on the rules ; so my justification ("...is useless") was like I was denying the priority of the edited games rules over the personnal (translators) translation from English, which I don't. And I was "sèchement" (I don't know how to translate this adverb in english) corrected by diamant after, which I didn't really appreciate :oops: (but the fault was not his, of course, since his point was right, but this problem that we can't know others have already modified the translation).
So. My proposition is sth that exists in other cases (I know it in internet forums) : to warn a translator that other modifications have been made since his last actualization. I don't know if it's possible, but it would be very useful.
Thank you for your attention.
Een

Re: Previous modifications

Post by Een »

Indeed that was unlikely to happen at first, but now that there is more translators, edition conflicts can happen.
I have added a check in order to raise an error if another translator changed the translation between the time the page was loaded and the time a the translation is submitted.
This will be included in the next site release.
Rudolf

Post by Rudolf »

Hello, maybe you could give right to the developper to modify even "gold" translations?
diamant

Post by diamant »

Een wrote:Indeed that was unlikely to happen at first, but now that there is more translators, edition conflicts can happen.
I have added a check in order to raise an error if another translator changed the translation between the time the page was loaded and the time a the translation is submitted.
This will be included in the next site release.
When I translate a string, I often go to another page to copy a string, or for any other purpose. When I come back to the string I want to translate, sometimes the partially translated string has been automatically validated due to some false move. I would like a checkbox to prevent this.
So, to validate the translated string, a click on the checkbox would be needed. If the string has been modified by another member, the change is not validated ; instead, the translated string is refreshed (you can validate a change only if the current translated string is displayed), and your last translation is temporarily saved (pop-up window ?).
LightKnight

Post by LightKnight »

due to some false move
I think it's not any false move, it just validates the moment you click on another page (in fact, the moment you click anywhere but in the chatbox).
This demand of diamant is excellent.
And thank you for the two changes you promessed to make for next version of the site.
Last edited by LightKnight on 24 July 2017, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

LightKnight wrote:
due to some false move
I think it's not any false move, it just validâtes the moment you click on another page (in fact, the moment you click anywhere but in the chatbox).
Yeah, it's a difficult way to learn a lesson about how it works. :?

Return to “Translations”