Strings not credited

BGA localization discussions
ckwatt

Strings not credited

Post by ckwatt »

I have not had any of my strings credited for the past month or two. Has anyone else had this problem?

Best to all...
Liallan

Re: Strings not credited

Post by Liallan »

My last ones are from 25 days ago. However, I'm not jumping on every new game that comes along and perhaps none of my latest stuff is a month old yet. I'm also not really sure what is already validated and I don't get credit for those, so I understand. So not as much comes in as what I put out anyway.
ckwatt

Post by ckwatt »

In my case, I am certain that my strings are from early August and should clearly be validated by now. They have not be credited, however, so something must be wrong with the system. It would be nice if an admin would weigh in on this.
Een

Post by Een »

Hi,
I have seen some strings being credited recently so this is probably not a general problem.
Do you have an example? Please also notice that only the first validation brings points.
ckwatt

Post by ckwatt »

Yes, I did considerable work on Diam's in early August: https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!transla ... cale=en_US - but nothing of that seems to have been credited.
ckwatt

Post by ckwatt »

Another thought: My number of strings translated, as it appeared in my status, used to be a long number like "10000043". This was then corrected to 43, and since then I have received no further credit. Could this be connected to the problem?
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

ckwatt wrote:Yes, I did considerable work on Diam's in early August: https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!transla ... cale=en_US - but nothing of that seems to have been credited.
Just a quick note, that you do not need to change "his" to "their." Een has that fixed so the gender of the player changes it (to her) if necessary. I personally think it's not hurting for it to be "their," but you don't need to do that anymore.
ckwatt

Post by ckwatt »

Thanks, Liallan. I didn't realize that although I have noticed the wrong gender being assigned to people relatively recently. Are you sure that applies to this sort of string? Een, can you clarify?

One other reason to use a gender-neutral pronoun, by the way, is that many users do not choose a gender. Are they then referred to as "they"?
Een

Post by Een »

ckwatt wrote:Yes, I did considerable work on Diam's in early August: https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!transla ... cale=en_US - but nothing of that seems to have been credited.
Well, as I said "Please also notice that only the first validation brings points."
Fixing already validated strings doesn't credit gift points, as it would encourage instability (with a potential infinite loop to earn gift points...). So fixing mistakes in validated strings is just for the glory or out of love :)
ckwatt wrote:Another thought: My number of strings translated, as it appeared in my status, used to be a long number like "10000043". This was then corrected to 43, and since then I have received no further credit. Could this be connected to the problem?
No, this was just a display change.
ckwatt wrote:Thanks, Liallan. I didn't realize that although I have noticed the wrong gender being assigned to people relatively recently. Are you sure that applies to this sort of string? Een, can you clarify?
This on the fly replacement was discussed here:
https://fr.boardgamearena.com/#!forum/v ... 40&p=37703
ckwatt wrote:One other reason to use a gender-neutral pronoun, by the way, is that many users do not choose a gender. Are they then referred to as "they"?
If people don't select a gender, they are referred to with the default (his). Should we care if they don't care enough to set their gender? :?
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

ckwatt wrote:One other reason to use a gender-neutral pronoun, by the way, is that many users do not choose a gender.
I already went around in circles with him on that one. :lol:

Return to “Translations”