PSA - Dice Forge - words/letters between []

BGA localization discussions
Liallan

Re: PSA - Dice Forge - words/letters between []

Post by Liallan »

N_Faker wrote:
Liallan wrote:And ( ) are parenthesis, not brackets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracket
"parentheses, brackets (UK, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and Australia), parens, round brackets, soft brackets, first brackets or circle brackets"

Sorry, not from one of those countries and have never called them brackets, nor does anyone I know. (i.e. in my post I was not meaning these kind - yes, I know that no one would know that, just explaining)
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

vincentt wrote:Hi,

I can answer for that :) We have made the choice to display the sides and other informations to avoid translation as the graphics are pretty self explanatory.
This is ine the framework by doing some override (see the wiki for that).

But I can tell you one thing, we will not change it for this game :D

Regards
But the graphics don't show in the translation thing, so they are not "self explanatory" to those who are translating.

Granted, if someone doesn't know what they are, they shouldn't be changing them. If people look at the context in a game play-back, then they would be self-explanatory. But this doesn't always happen, so it would be good if they were made so they couldn't be changed in the translation console, but I don't know what kind of coding that would take.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

While the site doesn't prevent changes to 'icon markers', it also allows translation changes to add or remove such icons at will.

And as you said, translators should know what they are doing before changing strings. The greater flexibility this affords, I would say, is better.

Return to “Translations”