PSA - Dice Forge - words/letters between []

BGA localization discussions
Corwin007

PSA - Dice Forge - words/letters between []

Post by Corwin007 »

Hi all. Just realized that everything that's in between [ ] in Dice Forge is turned into a symbol: [instant], [reinforcement], [ship], [G], [VP], etc. So even though there's no message about it, you should leave that part as is. Not sure if this happens in other games as well, haven't translated that many and none of them had this feature.
Liallan

Re: PSA - Dice Forge - words/letters between []

Post by Liallan »

You really shouldn't be trying to change anything inside any type of brackets or anything. That goes for any game.
Corwin007

Post by Corwin007 »

Understood, and thanks.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Things within plain curved brackets ( ) should be fine to translate.
Corwin007

Post by Corwin007 »

Yeah, that's what I figured. I posted about the square ones since I saw other people translated text between them in the Romanian version, so I did as well at first. Then I tested in and saw they were transformed to text in game instead of symbols. :)
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Yeah, that was a mistake on someone's part. They should maybe block those type of brackets like they do the { } kind and html stuff. Actually, I'd love to be able to do some stuff inside html tags (cause sometimes it's a typo or something) and I know basic html, but I understand why they don't want people messing with that.

(And ( ) are parenthesis, not brackets. There shouldn't be any type of coding in those since they are used in just everyday writing.)

I will give you that at least you tested it. :)
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Liallan wrote:And ( ) are parenthesis, not brackets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracket
DrKarotte

Post by DrKarotte »

These (square) brackets are not part of the "official" framework, I have not seen any other game before where they are used in this way. At the moment I do not understand why it is done this way.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

DrKarotte wrote:These (square) brackets are not part of the "official" framework, I have not seen any other game before where they are used in this way. At the moment I do not understand why it is done this way.
Using symbols is more common (@, %, $). Personally, I think I like the [icon] more than a plain symbol. It is easier to identify what the icon actually is. And it is then easier to add them to strings which may benefit from having such an icon displayed.
vincentt

Post by vincentt »

Hi,

I can answer for that :) We have made the choice to display the sides and other informations to avoid translation as the graphics are pretty self explanatory.
This is ine the framework by doing some override (see the wiki for that).

But I can tell you one thing, we will not change it for this game :D

Regards

Return to “Translations”