Suggestion: Official note

BGA localization discussions
e1q3z9c7

Suggestion: Official note

Post by e1q3z9c7 »

Many strings are hard to translate due to there are many Polysemies and Synonyms in English, and a short phrase can be use in many different places. Translators need to search for those words or sentences to make sure how to translate, sometimes it's hard to. For example: in main site there's a string "received %s", since I don't know the context, it can be either "received at when" or "received for what" or some other meaning (received can also means "common sense"). In different language, it leads to different translation. So I suggest there can be a little tooltips or description box to explain where those strings that have multiple possibilities used, thanks.
Een

Re: Suggestion: Official note

Post by Een »

Yes, sometimes it's not really easy to infer context when you don't see the string while using the website.

But adding an official note somewhere doesn't really solve the problem: who would actually fill this note? And would it be explicit enough?
It means the developer would have to realize that it's not obvious, then fill the note, and have the note be really explicit so that there is no translation ambiguity.

That's a lot of conditions. Seing that something is wrong while using the website, then searching for the string to fix it seems to be more straightforward and efficient in my opinion, and has the advantage to rely on many eyes to do the right thing instead of just the developer ;)
e1q3z9c7

Re: Suggestion: Official note

Post by e1q3z9c7 »

I got it, thanks for reply.

Return to “Translations”