Fixing Validated Translations: new process!

BGA localization discussions
Een

Fixing Validated Translations: new process!

Post by Een »

After years of making fixes manually to validated translations when requested in the forums (or granting translator status to the requester so that he/she can make the corrections), we decided to add some flexibility to the system to allow for easier corrections and better translation quality.

Now, validated translations can be modified by 'seasoned' players. What does it mean? Well, if you don't have the right to change a validated translation, a popup explains it all. Here is a copy for the curious:

Also, as before, trusted translators (with more than 100 validated translations) continue to be able to change validated strings.

Fixing validated translations doesn't award any gift points and should be done only to correct clear and obvious mistakes. Please do not make changes you are not sure of, and always stay as close as possible to the original English text in meaning and style.

And of course, don't do anything before reading the translation guidelines ;)

A word about English: making changes to the original English text impacts all other translations, and mistakes were made by well meaning players... to avoid this in the future there is now a validation process. You can request a change, and that change will have to be validated by the developer or administrator responsible for the module.

Thanks again to all translators for making Board Game Arena available in so many languages!
ollyfish2002

Re: Fixing Validated Translations: new process!

Post by ollyfish2002 »

Shall we change validated texts not following the english uppercase choice ?
Een

Post by Een »

ollyfish2002 wrote:Shall we change validated texts not following the english uppercase choice ?
Not necessarily. If the translation is homogeneous in your language without capitalization and that it feels ok, it may not be necessary.

But in general, translators should also keep the original English text capitalization choices: they are a part of the writing style that holds meaning. (unless the rulebook in their language used a different capitalization scheme).
ollyfish2002

Post by ollyfish2002 »

For some old translated BGA games, capitalization is not respecting the rulebook. I know it at least for Tokaido. Do I need to grab the rulebook and change it ?
Een

Post by Een »

ollyfish2002 wrote:For some old translated BGA games, capitalization is not respecting the rulebook. I know it at least for Tokaido. Do I need to grab the rulebook and change it ?
If you feel it's a real problem, you can. If it works as it is, I'd say let it be as it is.

The main thing about translation is that it works and allows players to have fun. Guidelines are just that, they have to be interpreted. Overall, it's better to respect the capitalization, but if the translation has been like this for a long time and everyone is ok with it, changing it may not be important (or even could annoy some players used to the current state).

The main thing about capitalization is actually that it should be consistent, not one way in a sentence and another way in the other :D
ollyfish2002

Post by ollyfish2002 »

it works fine. So no need.
Thanks
TPedrosa

Post by TPedrosa »

This user started to change translations that were validated by wrong ones or small synonyms words. Very few of them are correct or are improvements. What can I do in a situation like this? he made a large numeber of changes. I m right now screening it.

Very few of them are correct or are improvements

What is the best way to procede in a situation like this?
Desenho.png
Desenho.png (197.64 KiB) Viewed 4033 times
Een

Post by Een »

TPedrosa wrote:This user started to change translations that were validated by wrong ones or small synonyms words. Very few of them are correct or are improvements. What can I do in a situation like this? he made a large numeber of changes. I m right now screening it.

Very few of them are correct or are improvements

What is the best way to procede in a situation like this?
Desenho.png
From his profile, this user is playing on BGA since 2016 and has 732 validated translations. He is probably well intentioned (and this should not be about gift points since no gift points are awarded for changing validated strings). The best option would probably be to discuss those changes with him through the BGA chat.

You should also be aware that he is from Brasil and you from Portugal. There was a discussion at some point in the forums to decide if pt-BR and pt-PT should be separated, but it seemed counter-productive, especially because there is actually few players from Portugal so it would be difficult to reach a good translation coverage for pt-PT if it was separated from pt-BR. At the time, players from Brasil and Portugal taking part in the discussion seemed to agree that an acceptable translation for everyone could be reached by concensus.

You can also create a specific forum for the Portuguese translation if you want to define some common conventions with other Portuguese translators.
TPedrosa

Post by TPedrosa »

Tk You for the answers.

I think this wasn´t for the points, because he change validated translations. But in true 80% of then are wrong.

Moreover, I realise the problematic PT-BR and PT-PT, and this wasn't t the issue because the previous translations was mainly PT-BR. And, to avoid this, I allways try to translate in a neutral way and NEVER change pt-BR translations when they are correct but with a diferente flavour, like the abuse of a prounoun and a diferente verbal time.

Finally, let me ask you what is the percentage of brasil pt-BR vs portuguese pt-PT . Pls take in account that Angola and mozambique speak PT-PT, but I think they have a very small expression.

Tks Again
Een

Post by Een »

TPedrosa wrote: I think this wasn´t for the points, because he change validated translations. But in true 80% of then are wrong.
Well then the best is to ask this player about it. It's easier if you do it directly since you'll be able to talk directly in Portuguese, but I can mediate if needed.
TPedrosa wrote: Finally, let me ask you what is the percentage of brasil pt-BR vs portuguese pt-PT . Pls take in account that Angola and mozambique speak PT-PT, but I think they have a very small expression.
I looked at the analytics for April by language (as reported by the browser) and I have 2011 users with pt-br and 300 with pt-pt. So the proportion is around 90% pt-br and 10% pt-pt.

Return to “Translations”