Machine translation

BGA localization discussions
Alca-chan

Machine translation

Post by Alca-chan »

Would it be possible to disable machine translation in the Czech language?

I checked some of the strings that were translated by Microsoft Translator, and it's a nightmare! From all the strings I checked only "Cancel" and "Confirm" buttons were correct. It's way worse than none translation at all. For example, when you play a game and don't know it's a machine-translated string, you might get confused.

It's bad enough in the news and there is at least some context, so even though it is bad, you get what's going on. But not in a game where two out of three words in a string are mistranslated.

I like the idea, it might work just fine for some languages, but Czech is not one of them. I feel like it creates more work compared to when it's not translated at all. (The right way to translate to Czech is usually to delete the machine-translated string and then actually translate it :D )

If it's not possible to disable it, at least add some way for translators to filter these generated translations.

Also, I hope these machine translations won't get verified unless someone clicks on the confirm button.
Een

Re: Machine translation

Post by Een »

Alca-chan wrote:Would it be possible to disable machine translation in the Czech language?

I checked some of the strings that were translated by Microsoft Translator, and it's a nightmare! From all the strings I checked only "Cancel" and "Confirm" buttons were correct. It's way worse than none translation at all. For example, when you play a game and don't know it's a machine-translated string, you might get confused.

It's bad enough in the news and there is at least some context, so even though it is bad, you get what's going on. But not in a game where two out of three words in a string are mistranslated.

I like the idea, it might work just fine for some languages, but Czech is not one of them. I feel like it creates more work compared to when it's not translated at all. (The right way to translate to Czech is usually to delete the machine-translated string and then actually translate it :D )

If it's not possible to disable it, at least add some way for translators to filter these generated translations.
Thanks for the feedback! Indeed if the quality of the machine translation in Czech is insufficient to help save time for translators, it's better to disable it.
Is it also better if I remove all currently unvalidated machine translations for Czech?
Alca-chan wrote:Also, I hope these machine translations won't get verified unless someone clicks on the confirm button.
Machine translations only get validated after being confirmed by a human translator (and like for other translations, there is still a 30 days period after confirmation before validation for other translators to review and improve if needed).

Also, they are not counted as translated on the translation center page as long as they are not confirmed, and do not count for the warning about the site or a game being insufficiently translated (even a game 100% machine translated would have a warning that it's not perfectly translated so that players are warned about it).
Alca-chan

Post by Alca-chan »

Een wrote: Is it also better if I remove all currently unvalidated machine translations for Czech?
In my opinion, it is better to remove them.
Een wrote:Also, they are not counted as translated on the translation center page as long as they are not confirmed, and do not count for the warning about the site or a game being insufficiently translated (even a game 100% machine translated would have a warning that it's not perfectly translated so that players are warned about it).
Only at the translation site or also in the game (for players)?
Een

Post by Een »

Alca-chan wrote:
Een wrote: Is it also better if I remove all currently unvalidated machine translations for Czech?
In my opinion, it is better to remove them.
Ok, done.
Alca-chan wrote:
Een wrote:Also, they are not counted as translated on the translation center page as long as they are not confirmed, and do not count for the warning about the site or a game being insufficiently translated (even a game 100% machine translated would have a warning that it's not perfectly translated so that players are warned about it).
Only at the translation site or also in the game (for players)?
The warning is visible when creating or joining a table for a game less that 80% human translated (and we'll also display this warning on the new start game screen in a future release).

Return to “Translations”