It would be quite helpful if there was a way to "Show only translated strings"

BGA localization discussions
nmego

It would be quite helpful if there was a way to "Show only translated strings"

Post by nmego »

Since most people would start by translating the simple words and leave the stuff filled with <a href> etc.. tags to the end. If I would to continue on their work, I need to see their translations to achieve compatibility. So that we use the same words for the same stuff. As, a single English word can be translated into many Arabic words, and all could mean the same.

Also this helps to learn from others' translations in case of some tricky words.

I think this would be quite helpful. It also helps to make sure that all the previous translations are "valid" and "accurate" then start building more translations on top of them.

P.S.
It seems like many strings are translated via Google Translate, not by a specific user, how often does this occurs? and why does it occur to some specific strings? For example this translation:

أكثر من مليون معارض للطعن في %d ألعاب الألواح الشهيرة.
Which is suppose to translate:
More than 1 million opponents to challenge on %d famous board games.

Is completely gibberish:
طعن is meant to replace challenge. But طعن means "to stab" (or that would be the first impression)
معارض is meant to replace opponent, but it gives the impression of an "opponent in a debate" not an "opponent in a game/competition.
الواح is meant to replace board, but it should be instead "طاولة" because that's the used name for board games in Arabic.
Halapande

Re: It would be quite helpful if there was a way to "Show only translated strings"

Post by Halapande »

Hello,
Since most people would start by translating the simple words and leave the stuff filled with <a href> etc.. tags to the end. If I would to continue on their work, I need to see their translations to achieve compatibility. So that we use the same words for the same stuff. As, a single English word can be translated into many Arabic words, and all could mean the same.

Also this helps to learn from others' translations in case of some tricky words.

I think this would be quite helpful. It also helps to make sure that all the previous translations are "valid" and "accurate" then start building more translations on top of them.
I agree, this would be nice to have. :)
Although playing around with the search function is good too. Thank you for that.
Daavids

Re: It would be quite helpful if there was a way to "Show only translated strings"

Post by Daavids »

Besides search function can go to the last page in Translation centre. There are first translated strings.
diamant

Post by diamant »

I think a function "Show only translated strings" would be totally useless :

1) It is clear from my personal experience that all needed translations occur in about 24 hours ;
2) The strings are sorted by decreasing modification date, for each of the 2 groups constituted by the automatically translated (or not translated) strings, and the strings translated by the BGA members. You can therefore easily find the translated strings.

However, it may be useful to reverse the sort order.

Return to “Translations”