Fixing Validated Translations

BGA localization discussions
Liallan

Re: Fixing Validated Translations

Post by Liallan »

Oh, I get it.

You tuck, meld, etc. using those vocabulary words. Transferring and exchanging, even when causing the same movement of cards, are not considered to be melding and scoring and whatnot - they are transfers and exchanges. e.g. a transfer to your score pile is not "scoring" and exchanging to your hand is not "drawing."

Transfers and exchanges do not count for Monument. They have to have been truly tucking and scoring. (Or melding from Masonry.)

This could be stated so much more simply as "Transfers and exchanges of cards do not count towards this achievement." It's not even relevant where the transfers or exchanges came from or went to, because none of them count. For those who didn't learn that vocabulary, I'm not sure the extra detail helps. (People are asking about it even with its current wording.)
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Liallan wrote:This could be stated so much more simply as "Transfers and exchanges of cards do not count towards this achievement." It's not even relevant where the transfers or exchanges came from or went to, because none of them count. For those who didn't learn that vocabulary, I'm not sure the extra detail helps. (People are asking about it even with its current wording.)
Yeah... the game has a lot of excess wording.
-
Liallan wrote:
"Transferred cards from other players, and exchanged cards from your hand to your score pile, do not count toward this achievement."
^Maybe?^
As to the "exchanged cards from your hand to your score pile," that has a different implication than the original wording. The original implies that things can be exchanged from the score pile. Not knowing what all these (over 100) cards say, I don't know what all could happen, but the rules make reference to an exchange between your hand and your score pile. The word "exchange" implies a two-way transaction. Your wording implies a one-way transaction, only from hand to score pile, making the word "exchange" incorrect. But what is the intended meaning? (I know the Achieve is looking at top cards and the score pile.)
It doesn't imply a one way transaction, it specifies the relevant part of the transaction. The cards you take from your score pile is hardly relevant within the context of the Monument achievement.
-
Liallan wrote:adjective phrase
I see what you mean, though the two phrases aren't comparable. The string for the Monument achievement makes sense in both forms, because "Transferred" doesn't have to be a part of the adjective phrase, but can function as an attribute verb. Your example on the other hand relies on "frightened" being part of the adjective phrase. As to if your string change would be the more proper form, I do not know.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

N_Faker wrote:
Liallan wrote:
"Transferred cards from other players, and exchanged cards from your hand to your score pile, do not count toward this achievement."
^Maybe?^
As to the "exchanged cards from your hand to your score pile," that has a different implication than the original wording. The original implies that things can be exchanged from the score pile. Not knowing what all these (over 100) cards say, I don't know what all could happen, but the rules make reference to an exchange between your hand and your score pile. The word "exchange" implies a two-way transaction. Your wording implies a one-way transaction, only from hand to score pile, making the word "exchange" incorrect. But what is the intended meaning? (I know the Achieve is looking at top cards and the score pile.)
It doesn't imply a one way transaction, it specifies the relevant part of the transaction. The cards you take from your score pile is hardly relevant within the context of the Monument achievement.
Well, that's what I was asking. The statement by itself does imply a one-way transaction. Only when you know what Monument is do you get that it's the "relevant part" of a two-way transaction. Once I saw reference to what Monument does, I understood that. (Which I thought I cleared up in the second post.)
Liallan wrote:adjective phrase
I see what you mean, though the two phrases aren't comparable. The string for the Monument achievement makes sense in both forms, because "Transferred" doesn't have to be a part of the adjective phrase, but can function as an attribute verb. Your example on the other hand relies on "frightened" being part of the adjective phrase. As to if your string change would be the more proper form, I do not know.
They are comparable. "Transferred" not being a necessary word (which is arguable) doesn't change what it is. It does function as an attributive verb, but it's part of the phrase and belongs with "from other players" as an object of that verb. You're otherwise saying they are two individual adjectives, which they are not -- they are a phrase, which can be replaced by a clause with the same meaning, i.e. "Cards that have been transferred from other players..." is shortened to using a phrase instead "Cards transferred from other players..."

If you want an example of something that could be split apart, that would be something like "The confused man from Spain..." where confused and from Spain have nothing to do with each other, aren't related, and are truly two separate adjectives, and "confused from Spain" would not make any sense, and "from Spain" is not the object of the verb.

Or, we could just go back to the fact that as a native speaker my whole life, the way it's written does not make sense and sounds wrong. I don't always remember all the fancy terminology, but I was always good at grammar, and most of the time I can just tell by sound when something isn't right. The site does flub these up a lot, and they always sound weird and confusing to me. I also always end up giving in to you, but this time I'm standing my ground because I honestly believe it's wrong. (The last time I gave in, I still disagreed but didn't think it was important enough to argue about.) I also read probably a dozen pages on attributive verbs and nowhere did I see mentioned that "unnecessary" words change the basic concept. You're the only one I see saying that.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

I'm merely saying that "Transferred cards from other players" isn't grammatically incorrect.
Hirakoba

Post by Hirakoba »

Most of the Italian translation for Yatzy is inconsistent and badly formatted. Could I get permissions to edit validated strings?
Een

Post by Een »

Hirakoba wrote:Most of the Italian translation for Yatzy is inconsistent and badly formatted. Could I get permissions to edit validated strings?
Hi Hirakoba,
Yes, I have upgraded your account so that you can fix validated translations. Thanks for your help in improving the Italian translation!
Hirakoba

Post by Hirakoba »

Een wrote:
Hirakoba wrote:Most of the Italian translation for Yatzy is inconsistent and badly formatted. Could I get permissions to edit validated strings?
Hi Hirakoba,
Yes, I have upgraded your account so that you can fix validated translations. Thanks for your help in improving the Italian translation!
Thank you! Everything should be fixed, now :D
Viktori

Post by Viktori »

Seasons, russian translation
Incorrect translation for string:
If you have 1 energy token or less in your reserve at the end of a round, gain 1 energy token.
Если у Вас 1 или меньше жетонов энергии в резерве в конце хода, получите 1 жетон энергии. (wrong)

Please replace with:
Если у Вас 1 или меньше жетонов энергии в резерве в конце раунда, получите 1 жетон энергии.

Een

Post by Een »

Viktori wrote:Seasons, russian translation
Incorrect translation for string:
If you have 1 energy token or less in your reserve at the end of a round, gain 1 energy token.
Если у Вас 1 или меньше жетонов энергии в резерве в конце хода, получите 1 жетон энергии. (wrong)

Please replace with:
Если у Вас 1 или меньше жетонов энергии в резерве в конце раунда, получите 1 жетон энергии.

Done, thanks!
SPLAT

Post by SPLAT »

For Race for the Galaxy, dutch Translation, currently it's not working good enough to really use, mainly because it's not consistent. I'm trying to fix it, but often the translations have been validated already inconsistently. It makes playing the game in Dutch very hard, because matching the key words is difficult if the translation isn't consistent.
For example:
'Gambling World' translates to both 'Gambling World' (just keeps using the English version?) and 'Gokwereld' (which I think is the correct translation).
'Uplift' translated to both 'Uplift' (again, the English word) and to 'Opschroef', a Dutch word, though I doubt it is a proper translation
'Imperium' translates to both 'Imperium' (english word) and 'Keizerrijk' (which I think it correct)
Also, the use of capital letters for the names of the cards is not consistent.

Is there a good way to do this, appart from just getting to the 100 lines translated first, so that I can do them myself?

Return to “Translations”