Fixing Validated Translations

BGA localization discussions
mattcryo

Re: Fixing Validated Translations

Post by mattcryo »

N_Faker wrote: https://www.amigo-spiele.de/spiel/6-nim ... 4e996-942a
"6... le prendi!" is correct. The game you link is by a different publisher.
Sorry for the noise :).
Cheers,
Matteo
kzwix

Post by kzwix »

French translation of the Data Networks card (game Eminent Domain):

The translation should be: "Piochez 2 cartes. Retirez du jeu autant de cartes de votre main que vous le désirez."

With the version currently accepted, "Piochez 2 cartes. Retirez du jeu autant de cartes de votre main", the meaning is different ("autant", meaning "as many" would be linked to the previously given number, meaning 2 cards, while the player is able to remove as many as he/she wants).
Een

Post by Een »

kzwix wrote:French translation of the Data Networks card (game Eminent Domain):

The translation should be: "Piochez 2 cartes. Retirez du jeu autant de cartes de votre main que vous le désirez."

With the version currently accepted, "Piochez 2 cartes. Retirez du jeu autant de cartes de votre main", the meaning is different ("autant", meaning "as many" would be linked to the previously given number, meaning 2 cards, while the player is able to remove as many as he/she wants).
Fixed, thanks!
Egg Roll

Post by Egg Roll »

Hello,
I find some wrong translations in Madeira - Korean.
Can I fix ?

Thanks,
Egg Roll
Een

Post by Een »

Egg Roll wrote:Hello,
I find some wrong translations in Madeira - Korean.
Can I fix ?

Thanks,
Egg Roll
Hello! I have updated your account so that you can fix validated translations. Thanks for your help in making translations better!
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Sorry, but ${player_name2} doesn't want to play with ${player_name}.

I suggest that this string should be changed to:

${player_name2} expelled ${player_name} from the table

-

The original message is needlessly personal and not necessarily accurate.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

N_Faker wrote:Sorry, but ${player_name2} doesn't want to play with ${player_name}.

I see your point since we wouldn't know what the reason was, but IMO "expelled" also sounds harsh and maybe even a bit personal (because it sounds harsh), so perhaps a gentler way of saying that? (No, I don't have any ideas.)

(I also see no reason to drop the "Sorry" as it kind of softens the blow a bit.)
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Liallan wrote:
N_Faker wrote:Sorry, but ${player_name2} doesn't want to play with ${player_name}.

I see your point since we wouldn't know what the reason was, but IMO "expelled" also sounds harsh and maybe even a bit personal (because it sounds harsh), so perhaps a gentler way of saying that? (No, I don't have any ideas.)

(I also see no reason to drop the "Sorry" as it kind of softens the blow a bit.)
It shouldn't be taken as a blow at all, apologizing suggests there is something to apologize for.
"Expelled" is what is used on the button, the choice of word in my opinion is quite apt.
Een

Post by Een »

N_Faker wrote:
Liallan wrote:

It shouldn't be taken as a blow at all, apologizing suggests there is something to apologize for.
"Expelled" is what is used on the button, the choice of word in my opinion is quite apt.
Maybe this type of discussion should be in a separate "Suggestions for changes in the English source text" topic: it's not a translation per se and unless changed in the code, it won't be retranslated in all other languages. When there is a change in the meaning of the English source text, it should not be changed using the translation system. It should be done in the code, so that it's a new string to translate in all languages to keep the meaning homogeneous for everyone. And it should not be done lightly, since it creates work in all other languages. Overall, unless there is a big problem (which in my opinion doesn't seem to be the case here), it's better not to change them.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Een wrote: Maybe this type of discussion should be in a separate "Suggestions for changes in the English source text" topic:
Somehow I knew you were going to say this. :D

When there is a change in the meaning of the English source text, it should not be changed using the translation system. It should be done in the code, so that it's a new string to translate in all languages to keep the meaning homogeneous for everyone.
Good to know. Though it seems like this happens a lot anyway.

Return to “Translations”