Macedonian translation

BGA localization discussions
is0ff

Macedonian translation

Post by is0ff »

Dear Admins,

Could you please open up the translation for the Macedonian language?
Me and my friends would like to contribute in translating this site.

Thanks!
Big_Smonk

Re: Macedonian translation

Post by Big_Smonk »

Bump!
Depresija

Post by Depresija »

Сакаме да се признае македонскиот јазик во Колосеумот на игри на даска. Поздрав македонци каде и да сте! +1
Een

Post by Een »

Thanks a lot for your interest in translating BGA in your language.

I checked our database to see how many registered users have added Macedonian to their spoken languages since the beginning of BGA (58). I also checked Google Analytics to see how many people are visiting BGA with a browser using Macedonian which is a good indicator of the potential interest, and found only 71 people since the beginning of the year.

Unfortunately, this is too little for us to decide to manage the added complexity of making one more language available for translation.
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

Een wrote: 14 June 2021, 08:20 Unfortunately, this is too little for us to decide to manage the added complexity of making one more language available for translation.
Fair point. However, this makes me wonder why some languages are in the system, considering they barely have any translations and presumably little to no users either.

For example:
Een

Post by Een »

KongKing123 wrote: 20 June 2021, 17:04
Een wrote: 14 June 2021, 08:20 Unfortunately, this is too little for us to decide to manage the added complexity of making one more language available for translation.
Fair point. However, this makes me wonder why some languages are in the system, considering they barely have any translations and presumably little to no users either.

For example:
Well, how do you figure that we learn what we shouldn't do? We are not different from everyone, we learn from past experiences. We could probably remove those languages.
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

Een wrote: 20 June 2021, 21:29 Well, how do you figure that we learn what we shouldn't do? We are not different from everyone, we learn from past experiences. We could probably remove those languages.
It was just an observation, not a reproach.

If I were Macedonian and told my language couldn't be supported because it was not active enough, I would be a bit annoyed to see Occitan in the list.
Een

Post by Een »

KongKing123 wrote: 20 June 2021, 23:05 It was just an observation, not a reproach.
The way it felt to me when I read you was: "oh yeah, I found a way to bash the admin".
You are the only one to know your intentions when writing. So if you say it was not your intention, ok. But that's how it felt for me.
KongKing123 wrote: 20 June 2021, 23:05 If I were Macedonian and told my language couldn't be supported because it was not active enough, I would be a bit annoyed to see Occitan in the list.
I'll make two observations of mine:
  • By pointing it out, you pretty much made sure that any Macedonian reading this thread would feel that way.
  • Can't they speak for themselves? Deciding how people would feel and speaking in their place is a way of denying their voice. I would have answered them if they had asked the question, or maybe they would have drawn their own conclusions by seeing that the Occitan translation was, for all practical purposes, dead water.
In general, I find your contributions to discussions clear and positive. So please don't take this the wrong way, but I would advise you not to go too far on the righteous/vigilante side of things. In an environment where there is no kindness, people just stop communicating. It would have been easy for me to just forget about that thread and never answer the question asked in the first place, and not to get into a quagmire of having to justify everything I wrote instead of doing other, more useful work.
is0ff

Post by is0ff »

Could you also check where people access the game from by IP?
In the Balkans there are a few competing board game sites that are very popular for Macedonians, just because they can understand the language.
BGA has the added edge of offering far more games than those sites.
I don't see any drawbacks to opening the site towards more non-English speaking users.
Een

Post by Een »

is0ff wrote: 08 July 2021, 17:58 Could you also check where people access the game from by IP?
That's just 1366 unique visits since the start of the year.

Return to “Translations”