Modifying already tranlated strings - Any reward?

BGA localization discussions
Gallardus

Modifying already tranlated strings - Any reward?

Post by Gallardus »

Hello there,

I usually translate and proofread (and correct) the games in Spanish. Since I normally arrive too late for translations, I have specialized in modifying wrong strings, correcting bad translations, spelling, grammar... believe me, there is a lot to be done! Nonetheless it seems there is no reward for doing this! I normally correct 40%-60% of the already translated games, and last reward I received is 1 point, aparently for translating 1 string.

I would like to point this out to the administrators. sometimes a bad translation is almost as bad as no translation at all and may shoo away new players as they may perceive a sloppy job done.

I'm happy proofreading the texts and I feel it is satistfying to play games you have translated/reviewed, but if this does not bring any reward despite the load of work, I for one will move to the English translation and give up.

Kind regards.
Een

Re: Modifying already tranlated strings - Any reward?

Post by Een »

Hello!

First of all, thanks for your work on Spanish translations!

To answer your question, gift points are awarded for validated translations.
A translation is validated when it has not been changed in 30 days.

So let's say that someone made a sloppy translation, that you fixed it and it's perfect, so nobody changes it over a 30 days period. Then it gets validated (green icon to gold icon), and you get a gift point. So if you recently made a lot of proofreading, gift points will happen in 30 days (provided no one changes the translation after you to make it even better).
This is so that the reward goes to the translator that made the correct translation, and not just the first guy to type something in. From what you say, you should get lots of points, and as a matter of fact, over time you have ;)

The exception is if you are fixing already validated strings - gold icon - (people like you who already made a lot of translations are allowed to do so).
There is currently no gift point reward for doing so (except the pleasure of playing the game with a perfect translation), because we don't have any way to measure the value of this change. So I would advise you to proofread during the 30 days period ;)

Cheers,
Een
Gallardus

Post by Gallardus »

Thanks for your answer, Een!

I'll be keeping track of the validated translations then to make sure it is working properly, now I cannot say for sure. My last proofreads were Spyrium and Seasons: Enchanted Kingdom so I guess I have to wait a bit until they are validated.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to make the proofreading, I was just finding it unfair to reward only initial translations, no matter how well they were. Thanks for the clarification!
e1q3z9c7

Post by e1q3z9c7 »

Hi Een, I'm here for the gift system, as you said:
Een wrote: The exception is if you are fixing already validated strings - gold icon - (people like you who already made a lot of translations are allowed to do so).
There is currently no gift point reward for doing so
But I found someone takes lots of gift points by doing so, it's a contradiction. Maybe you changed policy, but I agree with this original version of system, cause that guy almost did nothing, maybe just add a blank, even delete the blank after he added one. I think he's a thief, please don't give these kind of scum anything!

Thank You.
Een

Post by Een »

e1q3z9c7 wrote:But I found someone takes lots of gift points by doing so, it's a contradiction. Maybe you changed policy, but I agree with this original version of system, cause that guy almost did nothing, maybe just add a blank, even delete the blank after he added one.
Maybe there is a glitch and someone is abusing the system, then.
Please give me some specifics in PM so that we can investigate. Thanks!

Return to “Translations”