Context for the sentence "Use a time joker"

BGA localization discussions
DanielST

Context for the sentence "Use a time joker"

Post by DanielST »

Please, what is the context of the sentence "Use a time joker". I'm trying to translate it to my language.
Een

Re: Context for the sentence "Use a time joker"

Post by Een »

Hi, this is for turn based players. Sometimes they go on holidays and can't play during this time, so they got a limited number of "time jokers" than they can use so as not to get overtime during their holidays.

Cheers,
Een
DanielST

Post by DanielST »

Thank you for the reply. But I have no idea how would be the correct translation for this expression in my language, then. I've left a comment on my translation, asking for people to review it.
dragonbane

Post by dragonbane »

The context is probably being thrown off by the use of the term "Joker". Replace it with the term "Token" perhaps.

A Joker is a Poker game term, it is the traditional wild card in the game of Poker. It is used colloquially to refer to an unspecified variable. I would say that the boardgamearena use of the term Joker does not follow from the definition, which is why it leads to confusion.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

You might think of it as a "vacation allowance" or "holiday allowance." Joker literally translated would be someone who jokes or does pranks, or a jester, like the court jester who makes people laugh. As dragonbane said, the word is not really being used correctly. I don't know if your decks of cards have a joker, but I often see them with a picture of a jester head. Do you have a term for "wild card"?

In a more literal sense, an "allowance" is a more proper word though doesn't sound as fun. :D Since that can mean more than one thing (like getting money from your parents), other appropriate words along the same line... allotment, ration, quota. None of those sound as good as a "time joker" but they might help in trying to translate. It's like getting tickets for free days away from your game without penalty. (Token may or may not work?)
Sandoval

Post by Sandoval »

Een wrote: 11 June 2015, 21:49 Hi, this is for turn based players. Sometimes they go on holidays and can't play during this time, so they got a limited number of "time jokers" than they can use so as not to get overtime during their holidays.
How can I use such a time joker? This is the absolutely only place where I see it being mentioned. I want to use one now in a turn based game, but I can't find the option in the UI.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Sandoval wrote: 26 December 2020, 22:13
Een wrote: 11 June 2015, 21:49 Hi, this is for turn based players. Sometimes they go on holidays and can't play during this time, so they got a limited number of "time jokers" than they can use so as not to get overtime during their holidays.
How can I use such a time joker? This is the absolutely only place where I see it being mentioned. I want to use one now in a turn based game, but I can't find the option in the UI.
https://boardgamearena.com/gameinprogress
Sandoval

Post by Sandoval »

D'oh! Thanks!
Giordano Bruno 1974

Post by Giordano Bruno 1974 »

The word "joker" is being used correctly.

The word 'joker' is often used in games for some kind of token that you can play to give you some kind of advantage such as a re-roll or a time-out.

Return to “Translations”