Can you explain me the Citizen Arrest game variant?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
qbeatle

Post by qbeatle »

ufm

Re: Can you explain me the Citizen Arrest game variant?

Post by ufm »

Instead exoneration or 'normal' arrest, Inspector may discard a card from hand to arrest a suspect around the discarded one.
(Whether the discarded suspect is dead or alive does not matter)
This decreases Inspector's hand size, so Inspector can perform Citizen Arrest 3 times at most.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Thanks, ufm, for explaining the how. As to the why....
The original game is unbalanced to the Killer. I've met a few people from Level99 games, and while they did play-test it with their group (for ease of rules and fun), they didn't keep detailed statistics on which side won. When it was implemented on BGA, it didn't take long to see the imbalance; a significantly larger number of games were being won by the Killer than the Inspector. (Also resulting in a large number of games being created and not played, as people wanted to be Killer only.)
It was determined that a major cause of this was that the Killer could change identities, while the Inspector couldn't. Therefore, once the Killer knew the Inspector's identity, they just needed to change until they were next to the Inspector, and could kill them. If the Inspector knew the Killer's identity, they would have to move next to them (thus making themselves vulnerable to being killed on the Killer's turn) before they could win the game. A discussion between BGA and Level99 games ensued, resulting in the Citizen Arrest variant.
amosboris

Post by amosboris »

How come Level99 didn't put the Citizen's Arrest varient in their rulebook of the real game?
amosboris

Post by amosboris »

Also
Why didn't BGA implement the collapse rule?
Een

Post by Een »

amosboris wrote:How come Level99 didn't put the Citizen's Arrest varient in their rulebook of the real game?
It's a test from the publisher in partnership with BGA, following feedback from the BGA community.
Een

Post by Een »

amosboris wrote:Also
Why didn't BGA implement the collapse rule?
Not sure that I remember this. You'd have to do some digging in the forums I suppose...
amosboris

Post by amosboris »

In the real game, there is a collapse rule that lets you take out dead people if their is one in each column or row.
It can help the investigator a little bit more if he can get rid of cards like that.
apollo1001

Post by apollo1001 »

amosboris wrote:In the real game, there is a collapse rule that lets you take out dead people if their is one in each column or row.
It can help the investigator a little bit more if he can get rid of cards like that.
This certainly used to exist on here, although I haven't played in a while to know whether it still does!
amosboris

Post by amosboris »

The BGA version only collapses if an entire row or column have been killed. In the real game you choose to collapse as part of your turn and can remove cards (Collapse) if there is at least one suspect that is dead in each row or column.
Instead of a Shift, you can perform
a Collapse. If there
is at least one dead Suspect in each
column or in each row, you can remove
all of them and collapse the board
down. When you choose to Collapse
for your turn, you can do any number
of Collapses.

Return to “Noir: Killer versus Inspector”