Play by Play Analysis Thread

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
gurthbruins

Re: Play by Play Analysis Thread

Post by gurthbruins »

Somewhere I hope. I really enjoyed that, more than normal games even. Fantastic team spirit. What does our leader say? Where has he gone?
nmego

Post by nmego »

I've enjoyed this, and I feel like I got a bit better in the game as well. :) Looking forward to the next one.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

Same here. I really enjoyed it. Also, I usually go by gut feeling too much. In which case my current level will also remain my maximum possible level. So I'll try an approach like this more in the future.
andycupid

Post by andycupid »

Sorry for the absence. I am having a busy week and have two more busy weeks following.
Now there are some ideas I have in mind:

1)We might want to analyze where whatshisbucket made a mistake. I still think our opening isn't a winning opening (I estimated that it would end -1), and we can discuss where it was the decider. Personally I think it was T4 top right, and he may have won if that had been S4. Another note, I like to name certain moves in the game "deciding point", meaning that the result is decided by playing one critical move. To me, it was T4 bottom mid, and I think the following moves were very well played out. I'd say this is one of the more straightforward games tho.
2)We can play a rematch with whb and do another analysis, this time he'll probably play move 1, and we get another perspective.
3)In the future I'd like to play a variant called "piece naming". The idea was originally from Blokus C2, that two players play as a team; one names the piece to be played and the other plays it wherever they want. They mustn't discuss anything except for what piece to play, and it challenges team play and piece optimization. Another variant is to name the piece for the opponent, and this is designated to screw over the opponent's choices, but I do not yet know the viability.

These are my current ideas, what would you guys like to do?
gurthbruins

Post by gurthbruins »

I don't like (3). Limits discussion, and likely to cause some ill-feeling between partners. So far our willingness to agree on a consensus is impressive.
Happy to go along with (1) or (2). Another idea: if that board was lacking somewhat, why not try another board for our next game?
nmego

Post by nmego »

(2) > (1) > (3) for me right now, I'm interested in (1), but I don't think I'll be of any help in that.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

Same here
gurthbruins

Post by gurthbruins »

(2) seems to have it, 3-0 in favour already... If whatshisbucket is willing to play a return game, with him starting, then andy would also be more free to leave his orchestra to their own devices when he needs be occupied elsewhere as he has said he would. Presumably the return game would be on a different board, as usual. In which case I vote we leave the final decision for each move to T72on1 again. He excelled in that role, one I definitely do not want for myself..
csaphiro

Post by csaphiro »

I’ll add my vote and make it four in favour of a second game, it should be interesting to see what people’s rationale is for to switch or not to switch.
andycupid

Post by andycupid »

This is an interesting game I just finished.

A few points to note:
1)Definitely should've gone second.
2)I spent 20 minutes to think of that third L4 mid.

https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=135102247

Return to “Battle of LITS”