Play by Play Analysis Thread

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
andycupid

Play by Play Analysis Thread

Post by andycupid »

Many people think this game is light. And perhaps simple. A few years of playing this game, and I'll confidently say no. However, the player base is a bit too small, and there are few players dedicated to exploring all possibilities. Thus, I've decided to open a play by play analysis thread for players who want to dive deeper into this game. I also wish that making this forum a bit more active may boost this game's popularity, and thereby increasing the talent pool. It may make the gaming community more competitive as well. Here's how we will do this:

We need two volunteers. Preferably one experienced (player A), and the other one can be anyone (player B). In this analysis, we play as player B, and we discuss in the following thread how we want to play the piece, move by move. All participants can give moves they want to play and why they want to play the move, and I'll give my thoughts and choose the best move to continue. Player A should not join the discussion (because, if so, we are literally playing against ourselves lol), but can review it when the whole game is done. The game will be turn based, 1 move per 2 days (so that no one misses the action if they happen to be busy), ELO OFF.

If you want to join, please express interest below, and specify if you want to be the volunteer. I'll begin once we hit 10 players. If anyone would like to provide suggestions to this format, please tell me as well.
whatshisbucket

Re: Play by Play Analysis Thread

Post by whatshisbucket »

I'll gladly play the part of Player A.
nmego

Post by nmego »

I'd be interested in joining.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

I'm in. Anything that can boost this wonderful game's popularity is a go for me. Like andycupid says, it's not a light game. The 'easy to learn, hard to master' cliché definitely applies.

I think I could be the A player if needed, floating between tenth and fifteenth place for a while now, and with 400+ games under my belt. Seeing though as whatsthisbucket already volunteered for that spot, I can only be very, very humble and gladly be player B :) .
csaphiro

Post by csaphiro »

An interesting notion. I’d be interested in joining.
gurthbruins

Post by gurthbruins »

Okay, count me as one of the 10 you need..
I have paid chess at 1800 level and I think this game is harder than chess.The board is bigger, and there are far more plausible moves to be considered at each turn. There is something very appealing about BOL. If anything, though, I think it is more fun at lower levels... it could be folly to be wise.
I am tempted to give up analysis and play without it, even if that cuts my rating in half.
It seems to me that by far the hardest part of this game is to select the first piece and where to put it. So this should be discussed, and it can't be if A is going to do it. So if B makes the move, then A can decide whether to go first or second.
aesche

Post by aesche »

I‘ll be happy to join in too.
DeimosDown

Post by DeimosDown »

I am currently away for a few days, but back next week and would be more than happy to join any initiative to make this game more popular :) though i dont think i would be brave enough to take on role A.

I find the game very intriguing, as its almost like an upside down simulation tree - complexity is at maximum at start, and keeps decreasing.

One could argue this is true for a lot of games, but i find its extremely prevalent in LITS.

I would also ask 2 generic question, regarding starting moves, that i always struggle with...

- do you prefer to start in the middle/at the border, or is this dependent on certain factors regarding X/O distribution?

- do you have a number in mind regarding the value of your starting move? To be more specific do you think there an ideal value, or is this again board dependent?

What i mean by that - lets say you are X, you cover up 2 Os and protect one of your Xs - thats a +3 move.

I know there are some deeper concepts one needs to consider, but wanted to see what the best players think about these two ideas.. or if they approach the starting move totally differently.
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

Hello,
In Hanabi, a group of talking and playing was created some years ago.
For a while, it has became a place to improve, ask question, and a place to ask for people for 'high level' games.
(the recent more posts are mainly advanced post (but not all of them like reverses) but it doesn't mean you can't ask easy question on it)

I suppose groups has less visibility at the start, but is best to talk, because you can separate ths different subjects you wanna talk.
motorhead

Post by motorhead »

I am in as well.
I am very curious to see how the debate for a move pans out. i have a simple set of placemnt guidlines for myself.

Return to “Battle of LITS”