Any chance someone could put together a SUPER basic tutorial for building a card game

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
JCase16

Any chance someone could put together a SUPER basic tutorial for building a card game

Post by JCase16 »

The two tutorials are VERY similar games. I would really like to build a few card games but I am lost. I have tried copying the hearts game over and renaming everything that needs to be renamed but it just gets errors that make very little sense to me since there is a lot of code that we dont get to see. If there was any way you could simply put a tutorial out there on building a new game and building the files necessary to start a game of 4 players and have them get dealt a hand and then how to have them play a card. I don't care about scoring points or anything at this point but I just need to get started. It seems like there is a HUGE barrier to entry here and I feel like if I could just get past it then I might be able to really contribute.
docthib

Re: Any chance someone could put together a SUPER basic tutorial for building a card game

Post by docthib »

That's a good idea,

I admit I had to struggle a bit to understand how the framework works. Hopefully there are developers that are sharing their code (see here) and it helps a lot !

Now building a basic tutorial is a very good idea, I will think about it.
DrKarotte

Re: Any chance someone could put together a SUPER basic tutorial for building a card game

Post by DrKarotte »

The studio docs about "deck" and "stock" components are very useful. They can be considered as some kind of tutorial regarding card games (at the beginning there is a step by step instruction). The hearts game is quite good commented, so it should be possible to create an own card game using this code and the information from the docs.

I studied the docs and then tried to analyse the hearts code, copying the parts I needed into my empty project.

The reversi tutorial is helpful to understand how the framework works. I suggest not only to read this but to build an own copy of this game on your own, not using the reversi code already there. Better a variation, using another board size, other tokens, other rules...
Morgalad

Post by Morgalad »

The shared code page is also a good place to get some ideas :

http://en.doc.boardgamearena.com/BGA_Code_Sharing

There I've placed 2 of my finished games and both use the deck component
Cheers...
Morgalad

Developer of: Incan Gold , Takara Island , Taluva and Veggie Garden
JCase16

Post by JCase16 »

Thanks for this info! I think what is throwing me the most is that I tried to literally import the hearts game and rename what I thought needed to be renamed based on the fact that my game has a different BGA name. And it doesn't work. I get errors. I'm not clear on what these errors are referring to either because they are for systems that I don't seem to have access to.

I completed the reversi tutorial a while ago and maybe I need to do it again. I think the first few turns/setup and getting the Database connected are my biggest logic/knowledge gap at the moment.
JCase16

Post by JCase16 »

Thanks for the chance of a tutorial here lol. What might also be interesting is simply putting together a list of what you would need to change in the hearts game/zip in order to paste it into your new games ftp location and have it work. If I had a working hearts game then I think I could truly dig into the code and figure out what does what and how I can change things and make it my own card game. Again, it's just getting over that first hurdle of getting started.
fafa-fr

Post by fafa-fr »

Hi,
JCase16 wrote:What might also be interesting is simply putting together a list of what you would need to change in the hearts game/zip in order to paste it into your new games ftp location and have it work.
I answered you in the other topic, though not specifically about the hearts game.
tinayamy

Post by tinayamy »

I very agree with what you said, I also tried to rewrite the code of the hearts, but encountered many difficulties, I want the code of Seasons as a reference, may I ask someone to provide it?
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

I created a tutorial for Hearts game that studio accounts have
http://en.doc.boardgamearena.com/Tutorial_hearts

Its far from basic because its a real game, but I cut off a lot of extra stuff to shorten the code. Enjoy.
JCase16

Post by JCase16 »

Thank you! I just saw this response lol... I don't know why I cant ever tell when people reply to me in these forums. Thank you! I will try again.

Return to “Developers”