Everybody loses?

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
Victoria_La

Everybody loses?

Post by Victoria_La »

If lets say I have semi co-operative game there are conditions then all players lost. I did not get a feeling that its possible to implement using
scoring table, the wiki says
"At the end of the game, players automatically get a rank depending on their score: the player with the biggest score is #1, the player with the second biggest score is #2, and so on..."

Any other field I can set that means player lost? Set score to 0? To -1?

Same applies to solo game. Player can loose against the game. The game is not a player so I cannot assign score to it in that table to make it win...
Thomcat

Re: Everybody loses?

Post by Thomcat »

Sounds like a problem with all cooperative games, win or lose - how does that translate to player "ranks" on this site?

In these cases, "losing" can be as much about the game (or luck) as the players, and really shouldn't count *against* a player ranking.

Just getting into coding - do you have access to the number of times these players played this game previously? You could just add one to that number and display that as the "ranking", win or lose. Then the highest ranked cooperative game player (on the site) would be the one who played the most games.

Would love to see the feedback of the site admin on this puzzler also.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hello,

The only good manner to do this is to set the score so that winner has the best score, and other player has the same (lower) score.

Quantum is implemented like this, as you can see here :

https://boardgamearena.com/#!gamepanel? ... astresults

For Solo games this is a little bit different : a negative score means defeat, a positive score means victory.
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

I still did not get how to make everybody lose?
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

To make everyone lose in full-coop game :

Add the following in gameinfos.inc.php :
'is_coop' => 1, // full cooperative

And score zero to everyone.

If the game is not full-coop, then everyone lose = everyone is tie.

Return to “Developers”