Licenses page info

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
nolatall

Licenses page info

Post by nolatall »

Hi,

I'd like some explanation about the license page before to send some useless request to publishers.

What are the meaning of each columns please ?
I am confused about "Is working with BGA?", "Available" and "Non available"

If a publisher is marked as not working with BGA, I guess that ALL the games of this publisher are not licensed to be developped here, right ?
Then why some games of those publishers are explicitly in the colunm "Non available" please ? (e.g. Mr Jack, Agricola)

If a publisher is marked as working with BGA, does that mean that ALL the games of this publisher are automatically licensed to be developped except those in the "non available" column?
Does that only mean that the "door is open" and a request to get the license for a game will be probably granted if asked but it HAS to be asked and obtained before to be developped here ?

Sorry for all the questions, I am new to this and I would like to avoid mistakes.

Speciffically, I would like to develop some games:
- Vinci (Descartes ?? / Asmodée )
- Santiago ( Amigo )
- Kemet ( Matagot )
- Khronos ( Matagot )

Do I need to ask for the license for these games or did you already ask them ?
Do you have already the game art for those games ?

Thanks for your replies,

Nolatall
Een

Re: Licenses page info

Post by Een »

Hi!
nolatall wrote:If a publisher is marked as not working with BGA, I guess that ALL the games of this publisher are not licensed to be developped here, right ?
Correct.
nolatall wrote:Then why some games of those publishers are explicitly in the colunm "Non available" please ? (e.g. Mr Jack, Agricola)
Because we got an explicit no for those games, so as well mention it (developers will probably look first for the name of the game they want to develop, not knowing especially who is the original publisher).
nolatall wrote:If a publisher is marked as working with BGA, does that mean that ALL the games of this publisher are automatically licensed to be developped except those in the "non available" column?
No. Licenses that are not listed as "available" or "non available" have to be requested if a developer is interested.
The situation can be different for every game, not just for every publisher.
nolatall wrote:Does that only mean that the "door is open" and a request to get the license for a game will be probably granted if asked but it HAS to be asked and obtained before to be developped here ?
Yes. Developping a game without getting the license first is risky, as the game can't be published without a proper authorisation, so it could be a big waste of time.
nolatall wrote:Sorry for all the questions, I am new to this and I would like to avoid mistakes.
No problem, we changed things recently anyway (before, we managed all requests, but we had trouble keeping up).
nolatall wrote:Speciffically, I would like to develop some games:
- Vinci (Descartes ?? / Asmodée )
- Santiago ( Amigo )
- Kemet ( Matagot )
- Khronos ( Matagot )

Do I need to ask for the license for these games or did you already ask them ?
Do you have already the game art for those games ?
You can ask for all of those. We didn't request them already (and thus, we don't have the game art).

Cheers,
Een
nolatall

Post by nolatall »

OK. Thanks.
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

Note that Rule number 1 still remains, you don't ask for a new license unless you have game published with BGA already which
you created adaptation for from the list in Licenses page or public domain, did developer adaptation already which is published?
nolatall

Post by nolatall »

Sorry, I didn't know about this rule. Where are they?
Do you have a game in mind or I can choose anyone from the "available" column of the game license page?
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

nolatall wrote:Sorry, I didn't know about this rule. Where are they?
Do you have a game in mind or I can choose anyone from the "available" column of the game license page?
Well its up to you, you can look at these games and see if you played or liked any of them.
But you first game should be going tutorial and coding a game from tutorial.
Next step is game from public domain/listed licenses.
If you still enjoying it you can pick a game you want and ask for license.
Otherwise if you ask for license and don't finish it. The game end up in that list and
publisher won't give us more license unless we do what we asked for.

Actually I am pretty sure that was a rule like this in license page, but I don't see it anymore, maybe Een removed it?
But anyhow I would start with available games since waiting for license permission and graphics from other publishers
maybe long and annoying process and you probably want to code right now.
Een

Post by Een »

Victoria_La wrote: Actually I am pretty sure that was a rule like this in license page, but I don't see it anymore, maybe Een removed it?
This is still in the wiki explanation page, last paragraph: "If this is your first game on BGA, we advise you to start with a game already on the list. Why? Because unfortunately, sometimes developers request a license, and then don't finish the development. When asking for a license, it's better if you have already shown your ability to realise an adaptation."

Not an absolute rule, but yes, it's advised. Public domain is also a good source of simple starter games to get the hang of the studio with a first adaptation.

Return to “Developers”