Elo management in potential team game

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
Woodruff

Elo management in potential team game

Post by Woodruff »

Hi everybody,

I am dealing with a game which can be either played individually or in teams.
  • For individual games, when there is a tie, ther more experienced player is usually penalized against the newbie.
  • For team games, each teammate ends normally with the same score and should win or lose ELO together (at least in a 2v2 contest)
I think there is a parameter which indicates that the game is played in teams for games like Belote, I don't know which one. Is that so?
Is there any way to tell the system if the game is played in teams or not depending on the options (ie the previous parameter can be defined dynamically)? I think the answer is no because if that parameter exists, it should live in gameinfos as the parameter 'full-coop' so I think it's static but I would like to be sure.

Currently, a winner of a team game can lose Elo points because he was in team with somebody with lower rank :(

Thanks for your feedback!

Tcheby
Victoria_La

Re: Elo management in potential team game

Post by Victoria_La »

No Game does not manage ELO, and its on purpose. ELO depends on your rank and you don't win same amount just
because you team up with lower ranked player, and visa versa. I.e. if you rank 0-100 you would never loose but you partner with rank 500 can
loose ELO in the same game!

So just make sure player in the same team SCORE the same points (and same aux points) so they share the place,
and let mainsite deal with ELO
Woodruff

Re: Elo management in potential team game

Post by Woodruff »

I see, and I had already got that I can't mess with the Elo computing by the website.
Since I did not see any Elo loss while playing Belote, I assumed there was an option ensuring that you could ask BGA to compute a way ensuring Elo can't diminish when winning together with a lower rank.
You tell me there isn't, alright I take that. Seems pretty weird :) At least that does not happen that often.

Thanks!

Tcheby

Return to “Developers”