Thank you for the hearts tutorial Victoria_La

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
JCase16

Thank you for the hearts tutorial Victoria_La

Post by JCase16 »

Victoria_La, Thanks for the hearts tutorial. It's been helpful. I think I have one final request that should help us all get to where we need to be. Can someone create a tutorial for card games. Not a specific card game, but a card type tutorial of standard things that occur in a game?

So the game would be 2-4 players (or something) and the game will have options to deal all cards, deal a certain number of cards or whatever. And then the game starts and it deals the cards. And then all the game does is allow you to play ANY card and click a button to draw a card or simply move to next player if the option for all cards to be dealt is chosen.

The reason I am asking for this is because I think the logic for a particular game's rules is getting in the way of learning the nuances of the actual BGA platform. I see too many of us come here and get so lost and drift off. I think something like that would be extremely useful and would allow someone to build that and then add the logic for almost any card game in later. We, as developers, understand logic. Even if we don't totally understand the language you have built the framework on or the libraries, most of us could go build these games in our language and DB of choice but we come here for the large following and the support of prebuilt game play libraries.

Can someone help all of us by providing tutorials on aspects of the BGA library? I think a basic elements of card games tutorial would be a great place to start. Another could be a basic dice rolling tutorial since their are libraries for those too.

I feel like BGA has like 5 active developers who have the time and experience in BGA coding to build these games and support them. I really want to spend time in this realm but I'm still struggling with the basics but I have no issue building games in JS, PHP, or other languages. I have built and deployed games on android and blackberries old playbook and for the web. For some reason I struggle to get anything going here. I'm not trying to complain so I apologize if it feels that way. I simply want this community to continue to grow so you guys make enough money to keep this site going and I love building code as a hobby. I'd love for it to be games on here.

Thanks!
Jason
JCase16

Re: Thank you for the hearts tutorial Victoria_La

Post by JCase16 »

Maybe this will be my goal... To try and build a basic card tutorial lol. If you know what you are doing already then please go for it and let us know if you get it done but I will start working on this too. Will be good for me either way. I will lean on Victoria_La's hearts tutorial for this.

Thanks!
Jason
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

I did not even see this post for some reasons, but sure you are welcome to create more tutorials, however unless there is complete
game its not really a tutorial, if you want to elaborate on bits and pieces there are BUNCH of other wikis about that.

The heats tutorial covering most of the aspects of card game, such as usage of Deck and Stock components. I am not even sure what generic enough should be covered in another card tutorial which is not covered by hearts?

I personally don't use any bga JS components because HTML5 superseded all the old JS do-it-all-yourself technologies and most of layout
and animation can be done with just css and html. Php Deck component is useful and technically can be used for many other non-card games, but
I use similar component of my own making called Tokens (you can find it in sharedcode project in modules) and I use same database schema for ALL my games, which are mostly euro-games.

I wrote hearts tutorial "due to popular demand". The game was developed by BGA admins originally.
JCase16

Post by JCase16 »

Hmmmm... So what Bga component sor features do you always use? The DB, the tpl? Would be interesting to understand if you change the file structure when using html5.

Also the features that the hearts tutorial is missing is really just playing multiple cards and drawing cards. By understanding how to do that you understand how to handle basic turn play of almost all card games.

And to be clear. I'm super grateful for you. You have been awesome.
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

You can look at my games if you need details, in my previous reply I said I use Tokens class from tokens.php code can be found in sharedcode project and API is very similar to Deck but it more generic, db schema described in http://en.doc.boardgamearena.com/BGA_Studio_Cookbook section "Database for euro game"
The same documents describe few ways of how game pieces can be create on client side.

Everything else is standard, i.e. to draw cards automatically you use something like deck->pickCards .. method on php side then send client notification,
if you need to draw cards at client request you hook ajaxAction to some sort of onDraw hook which calls php action hook which would do stuff from above.
tchobello

Post by tchobello »

hello !

I'm following your well documented tutorial...

I'm unable to have the 4 testdudes in express mode.
It always says there are not enough players when i'm clicking on Express Mode as i've set numbers of players to 4 in gameinfos.inc.php.

can someone help me ?
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

godassesdor wrote:hello !

I'm following your well documented tutorial...

I'm unable to have the 4 testdudes in express mode.
It always says there are not enough players when i'm clicking on Express Mode as i've set numbers of players to 4 in gameinfos.inc.php.

can someone help me ?
Next time create another thread please.

I think there is bug in these settings that it cannot jump from lower number to higher if you used lower already, so
Change number of players to 1,2,3,4.
Reload game infos from control panel
Go to table creation. Set MIN number to 4 and MAX number to 4 when you create table. Press express start.
If it starts, go back to gameinfos, set it to 4 and reload game infos from control panel. Try to start another game

Return to “Developers”