Developing an non-published "board" game?

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
yooyou7

Developing an non-published "board" game?

Post by yooyou7 »

I am in a group of people where we play and/or create an board-game-like games. I found out that there is an program(studio) where you can develop games in BGA-style; and some of the people were suggesting to put best-made games in BGA itself.

So.. a few questions about it :

1) Is opening the game on BGA possible if it has no schedule to publish offline? (provided that the game is fully developed and rules itself were confirmed from people on BGA; not that it is, but it's the requirement to get anywhere, so...)

2) Regardless to Q1, is it possible to develop games onto BGA studio and play games with other people on there? I know it's meant for developing actual games, but maybe once in a while..?
Victoria_La

Re: Developing an non-published "board" game?

Post by Victoria_La »

yooyou7 wrote:
So.. a few questions about it :

1) Is opening the game on BGA possible if it has no schedule to publish offline? (provided that the game is fully developed and rules itself were confirmed from people on BGA; not that it is, but it's the requirement to get anywhere, so...)
Yes its possible. You have to own a license for that game, and have to give permission for BGA to publish it.
yooyou7 wrote: 2) Regardless to Q1, is it possible to develop games onto BGA studio and play games with other people on there? I know it's meant for developing actual games, but maybe once in a while..?
If game is published its meant to be played by other people, other then developer. Or I don't understand what are you asking.
disu

Post by disu »

I'm in the same situation. I want to develop a game created by me but never published. We can say that is a "print and play" game, with my rules.

Regardless to answer 1, what do you mean with "own a license for that game"? I have to register its trademark to make development on BGA possible? I hope not...
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

I'm almost sure to have seen a post about that where the admins said that the studio is not here to developp unpublished games and create prototype.
Nivvdiy

Post by Nivvdiy »

You can be 100% sure, i seen the same, and he told it's better to use other tools to prototype a game instead of here cause it's easier to use a non programming environment to prototype board games.

Edit: find it ^^
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17788
TheLawyer

Post by TheLawyer »

disu wrote: 19 November 2020, 08:13 I'm in the same situation. I want to develop a game created by me but never published. We can say that is a "print and play" game, with my rules.

Regardless to answer 1, what do you mean with "own a license for that game"? I have to register its trademark to make development on BGA possible? I hope not...
I would say, you could create an entry in boardgamegeek.com for your game (it does not have to have a publisher, it can be classified as "self-published" or "web-published") - then who knows, maybe a publisher will notice it and it may go on the shelves! ;)

Return to “Developers”