Roll for the Galaxy volunteer contributor?

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
HiDrNick

Roll for the Galaxy volunteer contributor?

Post by HiDrNick »

Who is maintaining Roll for the Galaxy? I'm an avid player interested in squashing some logic bugs that are currently in the game, particularly New Galactic Order + Galactic Exchange and the tile draw bag exhausted bug. My username on Studio is also HiDrNick. I'd be happy to contribute patches if it's possible to collaborate.

Cheers, --Nick
fafa-fr

Re: Roll for the Galaxy volunteer contributor?

Post by fafa-fr »

Hi,
HiDrNick wrote:Who is maintaining Roll for the Galaxy?
Certainly the admins (sourisdudesert and/or een), since roll for the galaxy is not in the list of BGA Studio projects.
edit: and on the game page we can read "Developed by Board Game Arena", and not "Developed by [name of a volunteer developer]", and in the public announcement of the release, they don't thank any developer, as they always do when the game was developed by a volunteer
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

Greg did the game, but if you don't have any previous experience with developing games on bga they unlikely give you permissions
to edit this game. Did you go though any game tutorials for starters? Did you raise bugs about these issues?
HiDrNick

Post by HiDrNick »

Yes, the bug reports are already in the tracker. The New Galactic Order + Galactic Exchange bug is a logic issue that should be easy to patch. The tile draw bug will be more complicated, since BGA does not implement the tile exhaustion rules at all. It's a game-breaking bug for many 5 player games. Maybe 5-10% of the time I have to abandon a 5p game, and it would be more often if I didn't play sub-optimally to avoid emptying the tile bag in the first place.

I don't expect to be able to make changes to the live game. But if I (and other interested users) could review the code, we could submit patches for review.

If the code is closed source for some reason, of course I understand. I just don't want to complain without being willing to help. I've not developed anything on BGA before, but I'm a professional mathematician with enough PHP experience to be useful.
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

I think Greg saw you post because he fixed the New Galactic Order + Galactic Exchange bug. Now sure about the other one, what was the id?
HiDrNick

Post by HiDrNick »

Yeah, I was excited to see that!

These bug reports are all related to the tile exhaustion issue:

What happens now:
- If a player takes a Scout action and the tile bag is empty, their scouting worker is used and the player does not get a tile. This disadvantages the player.
- If a player abandons N tiles and the tile bag has more than 0 and less than N+1 tiles, the scouting worker is used and the player is dealt all of the remaining tiles. This disadvantages the player.
- If a player abandons tiles and the tile bag is empty, the scouting worker is used and the player gets no tiles.
- - If the player is then out of explore workers, their explore phase ends. This disadvantages the player.
- - If the player has explore workers left, they are given the usual choice to Scout, Stock, or Abandon Tiles. If the player attempts to Stock, they are forbidden - the game gives them the "you abandoned tiles, so you have to scout" error message. Then the player scouts, and still gets no tiles. Finally, after the last die is used scouting (and not getting tiles in return), the game still expects the player to Scout their abandoned tiles. This breaks the game completely. The player is unable to proceed, and the game has to be abandoned.

What should happen:
- If the game wants to deal a tile and the deck is empty, shuffle the discard pile into the deck and keep dealing.
- If, after shuffling the discard pile and dealing those tiles to the player, the deck is still empty:
- - Deal all available tiles to the scouting player. The player places those tiles into their construction area, as usual.
- - Remember how many tiles are still owed.
- - Then every player with more than three tiles in their construction area (including the scouting player) must take a special action to surrender 1 tile.
- - Finally, without using any workers, deal the remaining tiles owed to the scouting player and let the player place the tiles.

Return to “Developers”