[SOLVED] Option only usable when Elo is off

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
Woodruff

[SOLVED] Option only usable when Elo is off

Post by Woodruff »

Hi everybody :)

I am developping a classic card game, which length is not determined by the rules (unlike Belote, where there is a target score).
So I will certainly add several possibilities in the options. Something like that:
Game length
  • 4 hands
  • 8 hands
  • 12 hands
I would like to add a kind of "friendly mode", where players can play as long as they wish: each time a hand ends, there is a vote to continue the game or not. The game ends when any player votes "No". If all players vote "Yes", the game continues with a new hand (things like that can be seen on some other game platforms, like https://www.whistenligne.com).

For that mode, Elo does not make sense because the winner can change depending on the game end, and I think I will manually neutralize scores at the end.
Is there any way to prevent players to play that option with Elo off, in gameoptions.inc.php? Or (more unlikely) to ovveride the Elo computation system to put +0 to everyone?
Even if I neutralize player score and strongly advise not to play this with Elo on, there is still room for Elo maniacs that could use that option to boost their stats quite fast...

Thanks for your help!

Tcheby
Last edited by Woodruff on 21 May 2018, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Een

Re: Option only usable when Elo is off

Post by Een »

Hi Tchebychev,

You can use this displaycondition inside the definition of your "friendly mode" option. Then it will appear only if ELO mode is OFF.

Code: Select all

'displaycondition' => array(    // Note: do not display this option unless these conditions are met
											   array( 'type' => 'otheroption', 'id' => 201, 'value' => 1 )
											)
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Hi Een,

Thanks for your reply. I think I'd rather display the option all the time (I think few players play with ELO off by default so most player would not be aware that option exists).
So, if it is possible with the framework, since thanks to you I know the option for ELO has id 201, I think I will replace the display condition with a start condition, showing up a message if somebody tries to start the table with Elo on. (I assume here that the value for ELO on is 0):

'startcondition' => array(
             1 => array(), // 
             2 => array(), // "Normal" game length options (4 turns, 8 turns...) can be played with no restriction
             6 => array(
                 array(
                   'type' => 'otheroption',
                   'id' => 201, // Option for ELO
                   'value' => 0, // Value for ELO on ?
                   'message' => totranslate('This option can only be played with ELO off.')
                 )
             ),
         ),
Will that work, do you think?
Last edited by Woodruff on 20 April 2018, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Een

Post by Een »

Well, startcondition currently implements only minplayers and maxplayers values, so... no :P
But as this could be useful for other games, I suppose we can add it to the framework when releasing your game. Please remind us when we'll be going for beta on this :D
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Alright. In the meantime I'll go for your solution.
I have almost finished to code the game (French Tarot), but I now have to test it a lot and debug it. I let you know when it's ready for beta testing (during May, probably).

Thanks a lot for your help Een :)
See you soon.

Tcheby
Cococool69

Post by Cococool69 »

Hi,
I'm very impatient to play Tarot and i ok to be on the beta player list.

Thanks Tchebychev
Een

Post by Een »

Tchebychev wrote:I think I'd rather display the option all the time (I think few players play with ELO off by default so most player would not be aware that option exists).
This was also requested by Victoria_La.
With the next release, you will be able to add a 'notdisplayedmessage' to your option, that will cause the option to show as disabled (instead of just removing it when displaycondition is set and not valid).

NB: this is already available on the studio so you can test it.
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

Do you mean like?

'notdisplayedmessage' => totranslate('This option can only be played with ELO off.')
Een wrote: This was also requested by Victoria_La.
With the next release, you will be able to add a 'notdisplayedmessage' to your option, that will cause the option to show as disabled (instead of just removing it when displaycondition is set and not valid).

NB: this is already available on the studio so you can test it.
Een

Post by Een »

Victoria_La wrote:Do you mean like?

'notdisplayedmessage' => totranslate('This option can only be played with ELO off.')
Yes, exactly.
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

Did not work like that. Anything else is missing?

100 => array(
                'name' => totranslate('Learning Game (No Research)'),
                'values' => array(

1 => array( 'name' => totranslate('Off'), 'tmdisplay' => totranslate('') ),
                        2 => array( 'name' => totranslate('On'), 'tmdisplay' => totranslate('Learning Game') ),

),
                'displaycondition' => array(
                        // Note: user cannot use this option unless these conditions are met
                        array( 'type' => 'otheroption',
                                'id' => 201, // ELO OFF hardcoded framework option
                                'value' => 1, // 1 if OFF
                                'notdisplayedmessage' => totranslate('Learning variant available only with ELO off')
                        )
                ),
                ),

Return to “Developers”