Zombies, expelled players

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
DrKarotte

Zombies, expelled players

Post by DrKarotte »

There seem to be problems with Zombie mode and expelled players, not only on my games.
I have done some testing on Studio concerning Zombie mode.

Here is what I have observed:

When a player leaves the game by actively clicking the leave button everything works as expected: the Zombie pass function is called, which skips the Zombie, if written correctly, of course.

When a player is expelled after having run out of time, it does not work. The expelled player's turn is not skipped, the game gets stuck. This happens in Studio and with published games.

There is a strange effect, at least on Studio: The expelled player does not get expelled. He can still make a move. There is a "Get back to the game" button which has no effect when clicking.

The Zombie mode state is not entered, the function is not called. The log lists functions with other names. So is seems that there is nothing wrong in the zombie pass function, but some bug in the framework?
ollyfish2002

Re: Zombies, expelled players

Post by ollyfish2002 »

hi
I had this problem yesterday in a Builders game. I reported the bug #9701. Everything was blocked without running out of time. The game was set on realtime but the clock showed 5 days. We cannot make a move or go back in the game.
Een

Post by Een »

Checked this with a simple game also available on the studio (Neutreeko) so that you can check the zombieTurn function.

Indeed the zombieTurn function doesn't get called when a player is expelled (after running out of time) on the studio only.

But it does work in production (if the zombieTurn function is correctly written and covers all cases).

So actually testing in the studio through explicitly using the quit button to create a zombie should be sufficient to testproof all cases.
vincentt

Post by vincentt »

Ok great! I have updated the pre-release checklist
Thanks Een!

Vincent
vincentt

Post by vincentt »

Hi,

I am trying to test my Zombie function.
When I leave with one of the player, on the next action I get that :
Error during Skip turn execution : this game has been cancelled. Please leave the game.
afterwards nothing works :(

On real-time game, it works normally. In turn mode, the Zombie function is not applied?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Een

Post by Een »

vincentt wrote:Hi,

I am trying to test my Zombie function.
When I leave with one of the player, on the next action I get that :
Error during Skip turn execution : this game has been cancelled. Please leave the game.
afterwards nothing works :(

On real-time game, it works normally. In turn mode, the Zombie function is not applied?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Hi,
It should work exactly the same way with turn based and realtime. I checked it also with Neutreeko and it worked.
"Error during Skip turn execution" should happen only if there is a problem in your zombieTurn function, and it should happen in real time as well as in turn based if you quit the game in the exact same situation.
vincentt

Post by vincentt »

Hi Een,

I have tested it in turn game, and I have the previous message :( When I am in real time it works... How can it be my function if it works in real-time?

I have tested it in nearly all my states, and it looks like it crashes on a multiactiveplayer state. I have put some exceptions in my function, and they are triggered in the 'activeplayer" state, but are not triggered in the multiactive instead I get the error :(

Thanks a lot for your help

Vincent
Een

Post by Een »

Ah yes, multiactive may be another matter. I'll check that.
vincentt

Post by vincentt »

Hi,

After having investigated with Een, my function had an issue that happened some time (due to a random function). To help on that, the system log contained the necessary information for that.
So in summary, Zombie in the studio works real time & turn -based, on active & multiactive :)

To test it, you need to quit the game and not be expelled

Thanks a lot Een!

Vincent

Return to “Developers”