Table Creation Screen Concept

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
CraWleR

Table Creation Screen Concept

Post by CraWleR » 27 April 2018, 04:45

Hi guys,

Won't expand on this too much today, however - I thought I would create this topic just so we could start the conversation going.

So while I'm waiting for write access for some games (if I even end up getting it :lol:) - thought I would look at another place that could definitely use some love on this site - creation of tables for games. Now I don't know whether that's due to how the games were set up themselves or whether it's because the BGA Studio does not allow game developers to do certain things (from what I've seen seems like the latter) - however I feel like there are way too many issues with the way tables are being created right now. I would call them bugs and bad UX. In order to potentially improve that, I've been having some fun over the last week after work trying out a new frontend framework, thinking about and designing a new UI for the tables creation.

The result so far is this:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5e9n5qF9ThJXqynM6

Specifically targeting Quantum with this just because that's the game I play the most here right now, however, the way I've been building it - I don't see any reason why the same components and concepts could not be used for other games as well and could not be used in a more generic sense.

What are peoples thoughts on the current way tables are being created and the suggested concept? Any preferences?

Keep in mind I'm not a designer (I'm actually curious whether we have any here :D) and it's also not complete yet. I can expand more on details tomorrow, but this should give people a rough idea of it.

Feedback - both positive and negative - is welcome. Ideally constructive ;)

Gediminas

Victoria_La

Re: Table Creation Screen Concept

Post by Victoria_La » 27 April 2018, 19:35

Tables are created by framework code and you cannot really change it, admins introduced a simple more recently which more along the line you ave, i.e. very simple

CraWleR

Post by CraWleR » 27 April 2018, 19:54

My main complaint with the current way tables are being created is less the UI itself (though I very much prefer having images of the Maps, which would allow you to make a more educated choice), but the fact that the options do not change when they should. If you watch the recording, the Map options change based on both - the setting of the Expansion (The Void) and the number of players.

Morgalad

Post by Morgalad » 27 April 2018, 21:47

What Victoria is trying to say is that the game lobby to create the table is not dependant of the game, this comes from the BGA framework and we have little (almost none) option to change things there, only a couple of variables (basically a number with a string label) that we set on the game to be selected before the game.

To implement that change it would require the administrators of BGA to change the Framework for ALL games in this site and made it in some way backwards compatible so it would not break anything.
Cheers...
Morgalad

Developer of: Incan Gold , Takara Island , Taluva and Veggie Garden

CraWleR

Post by CraWleR » 27 April 2018, 22:19

Oh, yeah. Aware of that. That's why I said:
the way I've been building it - I don't see any reason why the same components and concepts could not be used for other games as well and could not be used in a more generic sense
If I had access, I could even do a full integration :D

Morgalad

Post by Morgalad » 27 April 2018, 23:01

But that is the thing... we as developers have no access to this!!! :)

BGA site framework is not open source, only Een and Sourisdudesert have access to customize this part of the php.
Cheers...
Morgalad

Developer of: Incan Gold , Takara Island , Taluva and Veggie Garden

Return to “Developers”