How to present an option to players

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
Daulken

How to present an option to players

Post by Daulken »

Hello!

I'm on day 2 of creating a new card game in the public domain (Klaverjas, or Klaverjassen) to BGA and must admit, I'm quite excited about it. I'm a very senior, experienced programmer although typically with C++, C#, some Python, etc.

Anyway, my question isn't a programming one, that's been relatively easy so far other than a few gotchas with not reloading gameoptions, etc.

In Klaverjas, the person to the left of the dealer (in my first variant), let's say, has to choose a trump suit. It's completely arbitrary, and doesn't have to be a card they have in hand. I have played literally thousands of games on BGA, but very few (if any?) card games with a normal deck.

How would you suggest I present this option to the player? Are there games that do this that I could look at?

The option I'm looking at presently would be to create a separate deck with just the 2 of each suit (which aren't used in Klaverjas at all, by the way), show them to the player and have them select one.

There are a lot of steps to that though, and while not overly complicated, seems like it's worth asking if there's a simpler way to just present a player with a static choice that looks good, and is consistent across the site. I'm mostly just not familiar with any games that do that although I'm sure there's several.

--Andy
fafa-fr

Re: How to present an option to players

Post by fafa-fr »

Hi,
What about just displaying four buttons each with an image (just a small icon, not the full card) of the suit? Buttons are commonly used in BGA games, and they're used in the game Belote to let players choose a trump suit.
Daulken

Post by Daulken »

I will do that, thanks.

I don't know Belote that well, but from the code all I saw was a partial deal, then someone selecting a card (which is where I got the idea), then finishing the deal after someone's chosen a card. I missed the bit about the buttons, but I'll go digging and find it. Thank you.
apollo1001

Post by apollo1001 »

There should be sample code to add action buttons in the js file under OnUpdateActionButtons. I agree that this is probably the easiest way for you to display this option.

Good luck
A.

Return to “Developers”