Cribbage project - need help!

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
Iggy

Cribbage project - need help!

Post by Iggy »

After some sporadic attempts at the tutorials over the years I finally started a new project here, deciding on cribbage to be my first game. I'm still very much new to coding online board games, though, and the task seems daunting at the moment. As such, I decided to post my "to-do list" here, in hopes that the expert programmers here can point me in the right direction as I go on. So, if you can help me in any way, thank you. Otherwise I'll keep plugging away at it until I figure it out; it might take awhile, but I'm not giving up yet.

1) finished Port over the code for Hearts as the basis.

2) finished Add basic game info.

3) finished Make a rudimentary user interface.

4) Have cards passed to a "crib" instead of other players.

5) Designate a player as the "dealer", and indicate this next to their name.

6) Have game start with person to dealer's left instead of the person with the two of clubs.

7) Change format from a trick-taking card game to instead add numbers to a count.

8) Visually show the current count.

9) Have cards playing stop at 31 (or under if unable to play), and start new round.

10) Add scoring during the game (pairs, runs, 15, 31, last card).

11) Add code to deal a "top card".

11) When round ends, score player hands (combinations of 15, pairs, runs, flushes, nobs).

12) Score the "crib" for the "dealer".

13) Visually show scoring of players' hands and "crib" with pop-ups, breaking down what they got.

14) Change scoring from negative points to positive points.

15) Show scores on a visual cribbage board, with "pegs" moving like a real-life game.

16) Update graphics and user interface to look better and show as much as possible without scrolling.

17) Add support for 3 and 4 players.

18) Test and perfect it.
RicardoRix

Re: Cribbage project - need help!

Post by RicardoRix »

sounds easy when you break it down like that ;)

I've never done a BGA project, but as a coder I could suggest that you may want to consider the support for 3 and 4 players as you code. At least keep it in mind because it maybe harder than you think if you haven't already considered it. Using easily expandable arrays etc, and if I remember the rules of the game correctly the number of cards changes between 2 and 3 players at various points.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

RicardoRix wrote:sounds easy when you break it down like that ;)

I've never done a BGA project, but as a coder I could suggest that you may want to consider the support for 3 and 4 players as you code. At least keep it in mind because it maybe harder than you think if you haven't already considered it. Using easily expandable arrays etc, and if I remember the rules of the game correctly the number of cards changes between 2 and 3 players at various points.
That's a good point to keep in mind, thanks!

Ironically enough, my biggest problem right now is converting the four player game of Hearts into a two player game. The code was clearly set up for something else, but it was the only basis I had (along with Reversi and Gomoku, of course).
A-dam

Post by A-dam »

Iggy wrote: Ironically enough, my biggest problem right now is converting the four player game of Hearts into a two player game..
Im not sure if I fully ununderstand your problem, but in fact, you dont even have to consider the number of players. If you design your state machine correctly, than every transisiton between players/turns/games will be handled by proper state functions no matter how many players you have.

To distinguish between crib/dealer you can for example create special field in your database. That sign will than be used in case of transition to next player and can be changed after the end of round.

Hope it helps
bamf226

Post by bamf226 »

I was thinking about developing this as well however I have just joined and don't know the interface yet. Perhaps I can help once I get up to speed on how everything works. I used to do web development, so I don't expect it to be a steep learning curve. The biggest issue is time for me as I teach CS now.

Return to “Developers”