Board region Pixel size?

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
Peyrol

Board region Pixel size?

Post by Peyrol »

Looking at a few existing games, I see boards roughly 800 pixels wide, maybe a little more, by about 600 pixels high, maybe a little more.

There are two competing design goals here: portability across platforms, from cell phones to 4K monitors, and providing the best reolution a given user can obtain. A natural solution would be to provide more than one set of images, and choose the best a given screen can provide.

I have four questions.
  1. Is it possible on this server to provide a choice of board display sizes for a given game?
  2. Can this server detect the screen limitations for a given user, or should the game developer let the user choose which size to use?
  3. What sizes are recommended for cell phones, tablets, and PCs?
  4. Is there an absolute upper limit that I should not exceed, even if I offer smaller size options?
Thanks very much in advance.
vincentt

Re: Board region Pixel size?

Post by vincentt »

Hi,

Yes it generally depends of the games but yes normally this is implemented.
Depending on the developer it can be managed in two different ways : JS or CSS

In Dice Forge we made it through CSS (you can look at the CSS from a game, not on the studio as we had to restrict access). If you wish I can send it to you
In The Builders or Khronos for example, it is managed by the JS with the dojo event "onresize" that is triggered.

As for your questions:
1. I guess it could be an option (display option that each user can change)
2. Yep through JS/CSS
3. in fact it depends on the game... You can still use the zoom function for tablets/phones
4. I think this is stated in the FAQ (http://en.doc.boardgamearena.com/BGA_St ... ame_layout)

Regards
Peyrol

Post by Peyrol »

Thank you so much for your quick response. I will check out both the js onresize and the game_preferences array in the gameoptions.inc.php file.

I clicked on your link to Studio Guidelines, but nowhere on that page exists any of the words pixel, size, or limit. I will work on just one size display at first, and once that is done I will likely know how to add any additional sizes.
vincentt

Post by vincentt »

Hi

That's one possibility yes :)
Do you wish for me to mail you some data?

Also, the framework gives you the possibilty to test if this is a mobile that displays the game and therefore you can add specific behavior (confirmation dialog, etc.)

Vincent

Return to “Developers”