Love Letter Thoughts

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Brisbane Roar

Love Letter Thoughts

Post by Brisbane Roar »

I started playing love letter last week and I must admit I'm quite addicted to it now. Love letter reminds me a lot of the game "coup" (maybe BGA could add this? :D) which I used to also play frequently. However after many games of coup I realized that it's only really playable with 2 or at most 3 players because when it gets to 4+ players it starts to turn into a popularity contest. Basically near the end of the game you get to decide who wins rather than skill... Of course I understand that in all games the more the players the more luck based it is, which brings me to my final thought regarding love letter. After playing many games I think the best versions are 3 player classic and 5 player premium edition. Reason why I prefer 3 or 4 player is simply because when you are in the lead most of the time you'll be playing 3 vs 1 and this is almost impossible to win barring some kind of miracle. For example I've seen 3-0-0-0 leads turn into 3-3-3-3 because of this which is honestly not so nice for the 1st player as he basically sat out 9 games in a row. At least with 3 players 2 v 1 is not an insurmountable hill to climb. Lastly about the premium edition I guess you could make an argument about 6-player but 7 or 8 is just the popularity contest that I talked about earlier or who can draw the constable/get points with the Bishop. Sorry for the long post just wanted to share my thoughts thanks!
Fil4

Re: Love Letter Thoughts

Post by Fil4 »

I hate this game sometimes
Shobu

Post by Shobu »

voriki

Post by voriki »

I love Love Letter, and while I have all major editions* of the game, I've only been able to Play original(2-4 players) and Premium(5-8 players) so far, due to lacking of people around me to play with. I do hope the game of Love Letters will expand on BGA with alterrnate versions.

* I don't have the licensed versions like Batman, Adventure Time, etc, but I do have physically:
Love Letter 2012, 2-4 players (version as on BGA)
Love Letter Premium 5-8 players (version as on BGA)
Lovecraft Letter, 2-6 players, with added Insanity Cards
Love Letter 2019, 2-6 players, 2012 version with added Chancellor and Spy
Infinity Gauntlet: a Love Letter game, 2-6 players, a whole different game mechanic, which I depserately want to play wit people.

Return to “Love Letter”