Stop showing ELOs

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Alaleh

Stop showing ELOs

Post by Alaleh »

I'm not sure if this happens to everyone or if it's just my luck.
Anytime I am playing Love Letter, even though my score might be the lowest on the table, everyone targets me and try to knock me out of the game. If you are targeted, it doesn't matter how good/bad you are at the game, you will lose. Hence, I don't get to play much. Is there any way we could hide the ELOs from the other players (kind of like in the arena mode)? This doesn't make any sense.
57erniepyle

Re: Stop showing ELOs

Post by 57erniepyle »

All other things being equal, I target the person with the HIGHEST elo. I think your suggestion will not necessarily have the effect that you intend.
nmego

Post by nmego »

Playing in arena mode hides the ELO.
MSt1

Post by MSt1 »

I absolutely agree with OP. I've been targeted at both ends of the the spectrum. It sucks either way. When you sit down at table to play a game, there is no glowing number over your head telling everyone your relative strength at the game. The ELO should never be displayed in ANY game.
LambdaBG

Post by LambdaBG »

Agreed, I also target higher ELOs if there is no one about win the game but i can see it ruining the fun to be honest. I have to have a lot of luck to even get to 2nd by playing safe and I will still lose around -12 points after because three people will go down on you, if you play late and rack up the deficit you will become the target again and get all odds stacked against you. At least something similar to Lichess's Zen Mode should be allowed i think, or have an anonymous mode where everyone's name and elo is hidden, or under a pre generated alias.

The biggest problem here is that everything gets worse the more you keep playing this game, and most skill improvements you get will have drawbacks. Not to forget Love Letter is not a very active game, so not only is Arena Mode hard to play in but it kind of turns away dedicated players to the game.

Edit: Is this game open source, if possible I could be the one to add this feature to the game?

Return to “Love Letter”