scoring variant

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
User avatar
kamatero13
Posts: 5
Joined: 30 April 2018, 22:54

scoring variant

Postby kamatero13 » 27 July 2018, 17:48

what variant about score is more fair ?

Lotus Blossom
Posts: 29
Joined: 12 November 2017, 01:45

Re: scoring variant

Postby Lotus Blossom » 28 July 2018, 00:56

Fair to whom? I don't think any are inherently unfair, just need a different strategy to play each one.

User avatar
kamatero13
Posts: 5
Joined: 30 April 2018, 22:54

Re: scoring variant

Postby kamatero13 » 28 July 2018, 01:57

Lotus Blossom wrote:Fair to whom? I don't think any are inherently unfair, just need a different strategy to play each one.

i played yesterday with positive score and some players sayied is not fair because is good for the player with strong cards

Lotus Blossom
Posts: 29
Joined: 12 November 2017, 01:45

Re: scoring variant

Postby Lotus Blossom » 28 July 2018, 08:47

kamatero13 wrote:i played yesterday with positive score and some players sayied is not fair because is good for the player with strong cards


By definition, it's always good if you have strong cards?! :D Surely that comment holds true for all the game variants.

I don't know, seems a very strange comment to make, in fact sounds a bit like they were being sore losers. Nobody is forcing them to play if they really believe the game is unfair.

User avatar
kamatero13
Posts: 5
Joined: 30 April 2018, 22:54

Re: scoring variant

Postby kamatero13 » 29 July 2018, 00:43

Lotus Blossom wrote:
kamatero13 wrote:i played yesterday with positive score and some players sayied is not fair because is good for the player with strong cards


By definition, it's always good if you have strong cards?! :D Surely that comment holds true for all the game variants.

I don't know, seems a very strange comment to make, in fact sounds a bit like they were being sore losers. Nobody is forcing them to play if they really believe the game is unfair.

They said the more fair is negative score.

Paddles
Posts: 14
Joined: 25 March 2012, 12:04

Re: scoring variant

Postby Paddles » 29 July 2018, 15:40

Like Lotus Blossom said, I don't think any of the current systems are inherently more or less fair than the others.

However one suggestion I'd make is that I'd consider fairer is to change the scoring for bidding and winning 0: instead of 10 points, I think this should be scored as 5 points + the number of tricks in the round (e.g. 6 points when you're dealt 1 card, 12 points when you're dealt 6 cards). The reasons being:
  1. Most of the time, it's a lot easier to achieve 0 (avoid winning all tricks) than to go for a positive number of tricks.
  2. It's a lot easier to score 0 when you've only got 1 card, than when you've got 8 cards.

I can't claim credit for this idea, I remember reading it in a book a long time ago (I think it was Sharp, Richard, The Best Games People Play).


Return to “Oh Hell!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest