Updated Version releasing today, 11/20/17

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
FourGiving

Updated Version releasing today, 11/20/17

Post by FourGiving »

Calling all my fellow aged super heroes and super villains!

It’s me again, “FourGiving” here on Board Game Arena.

I am thrilled to announce today some exciting news about our beloved family/party game, “Remember When…” The game has been played over 1000 times now on Board Game Arena by over 1300 different players from all over the world! Today we are TRYING to implement an updated version for all of our fans, with new artwork, even more cards, card fixes, and a couple other small improvements. In conjunction with these changes, the home version of the game can FINALLY be purchased online at The Game Crafter, just in time for X-mas! (see link below) Like the BGA version, the game is only available in English at this time. You can also purchase the “Flashbacks” expansion, which doubles the number of cards, extra sets of memory boards if you want to use the game in a classroom environment, and additional packs of 24 blank cards to create your own! The home version of the game plays with 3-9 players, ages 8 and up, in 30-60 minutes. It also includes other variants and especially new Orange word cards to replace “the” on the memory board with celebrities, fictional heroes and villains, and famous historical figures. There is also a 2 player co-op variant available at boardgamegeek. (see link below) Please also see the new tutorial video on Youtube, at BGG, and here on BGA.

As some of you have already seen today, 11/20/17, our planned upgrade is not yet complete. Some of the changes have made it through while others, like resizing the cards to fit the new memory board, have not. As far as I can tell the game is still playable, and we ARE aware of these issues. Brederic has been working hard on a smooth implementation and will continue to do so. Thanks for your patience :)

This is still not our end goal for this game, but it is a major stepping stone. Through Game Crafter we are basically able to “self-produce” the game now, one copy at a time. But we are still very hopeful that a major game publisher will be willing to give the game a try in their lineup. Chief among my reasons for wanting this is that with more copies in production the price can be reduced (Please see my post at BGG regarding the price of the game). For a publisher to pick up the game word of mouth will be very important. Of the 1300+ players who have played the game here, only 22 have rated the game thus far on boardgamegeek. So if you enjoy the game and have not done so yet, please rate the game there and feel free to tell us what you like, or even don’t like, about the game. Also, if you know someone in a school system and/or teaching English as a second language whom you think may want to use it with their students, please share these links with them.

Lastly, I want to issue another big thank you to Brent, “Brederic” here on BGA, for his long hours of hard work in bringing this game to so many people in this electronic format. This is definitely a skill that I DO NOT have, and none of you would be enjoying the game now without his diligent help.

And my wife and I thank all of YOU from the bottom of our hearts. We have really enjoyed meeting you online, making new friends all over this amazing world. Your encouragement to us, your great ideas on how to make the game better, and your willingness to be silly in a unique BGA game where ELO doesn’t really matter has just warmed our hearts. I so look forward to seeing what 2018 has in store for “Remember When…”

Eric Bridge

Game Crafter link:
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/re ... -base-game

Boardgamegeek link:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame ... ember-when
Wakan Tanka

Re: Updated Version releasing today, 11/20/17

Post by Wakan Tanka »

Thanks a lot for this update!

It would be nice to have this game fully translated to other languages, although it's very tricky. Sometimes it's difficult to determine, whether the word to translate is a verb or an adjective (e.g. twisted, crushed, damaged). Besides, in some languages, adjectives alter their form to reflect the gender, case and number of the noun that they describe. So, translators have to either choose one form of the adjectives and stick to it or include every possible form, because the noun cant be predicted. Still, I think it's worth to give it a go, because it may increase the popularity of the game. ;)
Chris T

Post by Chris T »

Sometimes it's difficult to determine, whether the word to translate is a verb or an adjective (e.g. twisted, crushed, damaged).
agreed. and its not just at this game, im wondering about whether is it possible to add a little comment to some original strings too; (though at the same time im pretty much aware of it is already a big job to present a game itself at all and it would be especially probelmatic with this game, haha so many strings there ^^) liked the new board too, it gives a lot to the game's atmosphere :) All the best :)
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

Chris T wrote:
agreed. and its not just at this game, im wondering about whether is it possible to add a little comment to some original strings too;
It is now possible to add comment for original strings in English, you can click on Comments then click Edit on English to English translations
to add context comment (I am not sure if its restricted feature, I can do it for my games but I cannot do it for Remember when, maybe only developer can edit comments)
J-Effe IV

Post by J-Effe IV »

Hello - as I said in another post in the translation forum, I have translated to french what was left to translate and reviewed all of the already translated strings. The hardest part is that, in french, the adjective can go both before and after the noun, depending on the adjective, and it's the same with adverbs (they will sometimes go after the verb or before the verb).

Due to this, the best positioning of the cards that I think would create "correct" or at least legible sentences in most of the cases in the French language would be

When, Where, Verb, Adverb, Noun, Adjective, Possesion, Reason.

Example - Hier, à l'école, j'ai construit rapidement la baleine volante de Harry Potter parce que les hippopotames étaient roses. Obviously, it will sometimes yield a bad result : Il y a très longtemps, dans l'autobus, j'ai détruit vraiment le robot beau parce que le sapin de Noël brillait. But most of the sentences should hopefully read better than that.

Any comments from other native French speakers ?
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Victoria_La wrote:
Chris T wrote:
agreed. and its not just at this game, im wondering about whether is it possible to add a little comment to some original strings too;
It is now possible to add comment for original strings in English, you can click on Comments then click Edit on English to English translations
to add context comment (I am not sure if its restricted feature, I can do it for my games but I cannot do it for Remember when, maybe only developer can edit comments)
That mus be a developer thing as I can only add comments to changes that I make, not to original strings.
Een

Post by Een »

Liallan wrote:
Victoria_La wrote:
Chris T wrote:
That mus be a developer thing as I can only add comments to changes that I make, not to original strings.
Yes, that's for the developer (who wrote the original string in the code).
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

Een wrote:
Liallan wrote:
Victoria_La wrote:
Yes, that's for the developer (who wrote the original string in the code).
Do we need to restrict it? Its just a comment, if other people know what it is they can comment too
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Well... I am trying this game for the first time. Because I saw the French translation being done, I was looking at the original English. Too much of a spoiler, though, and I had to stop. (If I see something while playing I will hunt it down to correct it.) So I got curious and wanted to try it. It's a little weird turn-based. Perhaps I'll break my normal rule and play it live.

I have an opposite opinion of the board - it's too busy for my tastes, and feels difficult to see anything. OTOH, I totally admit I'm not a super hero fan (gasp!) so it's not really adding to my ambiance.

I can see where this is hard to translate. I studied French (very, very long time ago and I don't remember much)(though I remember when :lol: ), but interestingly, I can follow the grammar/structure more easily than the vocabulary, so the game is a bit like me trying to follow a French post: some structure and parts of speech and missing 80% of the actual words. :mrgreen:

(Side note: since people's grammar seems to suck so much anymore, even though it's no more difficult than it was when I was in school, this could be a totally educational game. It won't help anyone conjugate any verbs but at least they might figure out what an adjective is.)

With all that out of the way, what about seeing who typically reviews party games on BGG? I don't know who that is cause I tend to go for Tom Vasal's reviews, and Rahdo Runs Through It and such. If there is someone who commonly does videos on party games and have some followers, at least a certain amount of people would see it. I also just voted under "type" as party game - I think you need that so it gets listed under that category and so ratings go in that category, but I don't know how many votes are needed to make it count. I also added it into the online play in the Community Wiki section.
FourGiving

Post by FourGiving »

Thanks for all that help and advice.

Unfortunately Rahdo does not generally do 3+ player games and was not interested. Tom Vasel MIGHT, but I imagine it would be too costly for us. Same for the Game Boy Geek, whom I got a price quote from, which is unfortunate, because he does well with these types of games. But I do have other ideas for a review or two after our tax refund :)

And yes I do consider the game educational and fun at the same time for someone trying to learn English or expand their vocabulary. And I'd be delighted if it could one day be translated into other languages.

Thank you all again for your continued support. Please also see my current thread on a Print & Play option.

Return to “Remember When”