Please be able to change the word order of the created sentence.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
waka_pirokal

Please be able to change the word order of the created sentence.

Post by waka_pirokal »

I started the Japanese translation of Remember When.

In order to change the word order of the created sentence, please be able to translate the system message displaying the created sentence in the game log.
Because the word order of English and Japanese are different, translation is difficult at present.
Translation is difficult, especially because the order of subjects, verbs, and objects is different in English and Japanese.
Please make it translatable as described above so that translators can freely rearrange these.

I am not good at English, but I hope many Japanese players will play this game.
FourGiving

Re: Please be able to change the word order of the created sentence.

Post by FourGiving »

Thanks. Designer here. I don't understand any of the technical stuff. Is this a switch or option that the developer can "turn on", or is this something that BGA itself would need to enable? Thanks again for your interest and support. Personally I would love for the game to be translated, but I know nothing about how to do it :(
waka_pirokal

Post by waka_pirokal »

Thank you for your reply.

I do not know the details, but I think both developer and BGA can "turn on".
I think that it is not technically difficult because sentences to be translated are often added in other games.

For example, in Remember When, there is a system message like the following.

${player_name} vaguely remembers, "I ${html}${verbed}${endHtml} ${article} ${object}." But when? Where? Why? How?

When this becomes translatable, I can rearrange the order of replacement characters.
By swapping the position of "${html}${verbed}${endHtml}" and "${article} ${object}" in this sentence, I can change the "appearance" displayed during the game.

If possible, I would like to ask the developer or BGA administrator directly, but I do not know how to request it.
Een

Post by Een »

Hi waka_pirokal,

You already have more than 100 validated translations, so you have the ability to change even validated strings. So you can change the order of the parts of this sentence in the translation system by moving around the ${xxx} substitution variables (you cannot remove them, but you can exchange their positions).

Still, Remember When relies on the structure of the English language, so I'm not sure what can be really accomplished reguarding translations, and maybe it will make the messages incoherent with the visual part of the game. This is of course different for every language, maybe in some languages it can work!
Een

Post by Een »

But I also see that some strings are not in the translation system. @FourGiving: the developer should check that every string used for the game log is translatable, for example in the game code:

Code: Select all

$message = '${player_name} guessed ${html}${color_displayed}${endHtml} ${object} ${active_player_name} ${verb}. ';
[...]
self::notifyAllPlayers( 
			'addCardToSentence', 
			clienttranslate($message), 
[...]
should be

Code: Select all

$message = clienttranslate('${player_name} guessed ${html}${color_displayed}${endHtml} ${object} ${active_player_name} ${verb}. ');
[...]
self::notifyAllPlayers( 
			'addCardToSentence', 
			$message, 
[...]
to be translatable.
FourGiving

Post by FourGiving »

Thanks all. I will pass this on to Brederic, the developer.

Return to “Remember When”