(discussion) Is the sword too expensive in 3-4 player games?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
LennyLinux

(discussion) Is the sword too expensive in 3-4 player games?

Post by LennyLinux »

The die is by far my biggest problem with this game, which isn't saying a lot because I think the game is pretty great and it's fantastic to see it having made it's way here to BGA. But I'd like to discuss this game mechanic in a little more detail.

In a 2-player game the rounds are over quickly so the sword is a worthwhile investment I think, that is even if I'm hurt while beating a monster I will be recovered pretty quickly to harvest the fruits of my battle. Since recovery is fairly quick the rewards for the monsters are also more valuable, there will be a total of two-three actions until I'm able to utilize whatever workers I have left and four-six actions until I'm fully recovered.

What this means to me is that I can almost be certain that whatever cards I may or may not know be under the monster aren't all taken, and that I haven't sacrificed myself just to let my opponents dig freely. Despite being a 2/3 chance of hitting I've often seen all or almost all of my adventurers go while defeating a 2hp monster for 2-or-so XP and not enough gold to pay for the sword investment (and certainly not the hospital costs).

The issue is that in a three or four player game, it's not two-three and four-six actions until I can start digging again but a lot of them while I paid the same price for the sword and got same rewards for my kills. Wouldn't a small price reduction for games with many players make this wager more fair? In the printed board game this could've taken the form of another side on the board where either the sword was cheaper (perhaps 2 instead of 3 gold) or where hospital costs were lower (probably not a good idea as it'd put the take-XP-and-go-to-the-hospital cards out of balance).

Any thoughts?
Shaq Jenkins

Re: (discussion) Is the sword too expensive in 3-4 player games?

Post by Shaq Jenkins »

I've been thinking a lot about this game as well. I know that BGA recommends playing it with 3 people, but I've enjoyed it much more with 2. I think it has a lot to do with how expensive the sword is with 3-4 players and how it's not worth it to battle monsters, especially the 2-4HP ones, when your opponents will benefit more from your hard work. Purchasing the sword really isn't a good investment.

I agree that the sword should be worth 1 or 2 coins in 3-4 player games.

Return to “Takara Island”