Confusion over Token Movement

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Liallan

Confusion over Token Movement

Post by Liallan »

The visual that takes place when you guess a token and get it is very weird and I'm not following what it's doing.

Case in point: I had looked the tokens at 1 & 4. None of them had been moved. I called out the one at 4 and got it. What the visual showed was two tokens, side by side, at positions 3 & 4, both a ballot. (4 was a ballet - I never looked at 3.) Then as it gave me 4, it appeared everything moved to the right, but there was a blank spot down at the right end (8) where it looks like the replacement token went. The rules say they slide away from the reserve, which is at the left (by 1). With all the weird visuals, I'm not sure what the heck it did.

Could someone explain how this works? I know what the rules say, but the visual I saw doesn't seem to understand the rules.

(Unless of course there's some bug. There is in fact another bug seemingly unrelated, so perhaps this one is as well.)
Een

Re: Confusion over Token Movement

Post by Een »

When the reserve is on the left, the visual should follow the following sequence:
1) Token called out moves to the player panel
2) Tokens right of the token called out move one space left to fill the hole, leaving spot 8 empty
3) All tokens move one space right leaving spot 1 empty
4) One token from the reserve moves into space 1.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Why is there a step 2? Or rather, why aren't the tokens left of empty spot moved instead of the right ones?
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Thanks for the explanation, Een. Though I have the same question as N_Faker, why they would move towards the reserve first, leaving 8 open, and then move back the other way to fill slot 1.

Was this easier to program? I saw somewhere that you said it was difficult to program things from two points of view (i.e. left to me is right to my opponent). I don't know if it's easier to make it look the same to both players; of course in real life it would look like it does with my opponent opposite.

Does it behave the same way when the reserve is on the right? (Move right first and left back left to fill slot 1)

Perhaps something could be added in the rules to clarify how this is done. (And perhaps the confusions with the Reverend I've seen, although I never found that confusing. I assume left and right mean from my point of view.)

In the end, as long as I know the new token got added in slot 1 I'll know what it did, which is the important thing. If my opponent got a token, it'll make the difference in whether I screw up my next move. :lol:
Een

Post by Een »

N_Faker wrote:Why is there a step 2? Or rather, why aren't the tokens left of empty spot moved instead of the right ones?
Because the component used to display tokens is meant not to hold any empty space between elements and automatically fills any empty space by moving elements right of the empty space left.

Since after that everything moves right and the new token visually lands in position 1, I think it's ok to understand that overall it's the same as if just the elements left of the empty space slided right.
Liallan wrote:Does it behave the same way when the reserve is on the right? (Move right first and left back left to fill slot 1)
No, on the other side the empty space is also filled right to left, so visually there is no step 2.
Liallan wrote:Was this easier to program?
Yes, doing things otherwise would have needed changing the component or doing the token display manually.
Liallan wrote:I saw somewhere that you said it was difficult to program things from two points of view (i.e. left to me is right to my opponent). I don't know if it's easier to make it look the same to both players; of course in real life it would look like it does with my opponent opposite.

Actually for this game you can't make it look the same to both players because of the left/right thing that depends on the player point of view.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Thanks for the responses. The important thing is knowing it's always filling from the reserve side (like the rules say), even if something looks otherwise. ;)
bak2

Post by bak2 »

Hi everyone,

When the Storekeep is activated to switch a token (in main street) with a token from the supply, is it switched with the first token from the supply (i mean on the top of it) or a random one?

Thanks for the answer.
Try2

Post by Try2 »

in BGA version the switched token become the last (bottom) in the reserve

Return to “Outlaws: Last Man Standing”