Ranking in 2v2 game

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
LiorG

Ranking in 2v2 game

Post by LiorG »

Hi,

When playing in 2v2 game, a player may win but still lose ranking.

At the game end, the two players from the winning team considered to have "tie", meaning there is a draw between them.
If one of them has ranking much higher then the other, the number of points he will lose from that "tie" might be bigger than the number of points he will win from the winning over the losing team players.

Is there an option to fix it, so both of the winning players will be considered as "Win", and the ranking system will compare only the players between the groups (and not the players within the same group)?
RicardoRix

Re: Ranking in 2v2 game

Post by RicardoRix »

That's got to be wrong. Do you have a link / table number?

Conversely I had a Lewis & Clark game where the loser did not lose any ELO. Due to the calculation he seemed to gain 0.5 points.
I think that this is also due to a difference in ELO with said person and all other players and all the losers coming joint 2nd, a bit like you're example where there are joint placements in the results.

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!table?table=49188417
LiorG

Post by LiorG »

This situation didn't happen to me, but was a close one.

See this table:
https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!table?table=49433703
I lost points due to tie with my teammate, but earned points due to winning the other two players. The total variation is only 2.58 points.

While the situation in "Lewis & Clark" seems reasonible (there is a tie between the losing players), I think this should not be the situation in 2v2 game.
vigorousRoll

Post by vigorousRoll »

I suspected this was the case after my most recent 2v2 (#47917060) in which I was on the winning side but got zero points for my efforts. After reading this thread, I went back and checked and see that I actually did net a smidgen. I gained 3.44 and 3.47 against the pair on the losing side while losing 6.44 to my partner and somehow this got translated into a overall .32 gain for me (not even the .47 you'd expect from simple netting)

I then reviewed my games history and saw that I have competed in nine 2v2's (a 10th one had the ELO turned off) and have lost a cumulative 41.60 rating points to my partner across those nine games.

I've crossed 2v2's off my list for the time being. There's a deeper thought level that goes into them and i was enjoying that. But I was putting more work into 2v2's (as I try to anticipate what each player will do and stop to analyze all the subtle ways in which each move made changes the game space) and getting less to show for it. It's an unfavorable cost-benefit ratio that's being kept artificially high by this error in the way the games are scored.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

You can do the same, by only playing against higher rated opponents.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

N_Faker wrote:Example
Unless that's a team game 3v3 then technically it's not quite the same. Coming joint 1st is slightly worse than coming first outright.
Although these mis-calculations are all coming via the same situation - joint placements.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

RicardoRix wrote:
It''s a team game.
The table configuration options seem to have broken between versions, though the replay shows the correct table configurations.

Return to “Innovation”