likelyhood of expansions here on BGA?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Jambo

Re: likelyhood of expansions here on BGA?

Post by Jambo »

I'd love to see expansions of Innovation on BGA but fully understand the big investment to do them. If there was an order, i'd do Figures over Echoes - it's far simpler and in many ways more enjoyable.
DodgerM76

Post by DodgerM76 »

I'd like to get into development (and I love Innovation), but I suspect this wouldn't be the best project to get my feet wet on. If any of the people who talked about wanting to develop an expansion want to collaborate, I'd be quite open to that.
kermitfrog

Post by kermitfrog »

Hey all,

I did take a look at adding the expansions.

There are a few obstacles:
1. If you aren't well-versed in PHP, Perl, and Java Script, it is pretty much impossible to pick up due to the complexity of the code base. I have no experience in any of these (except for a bit of JS) so I got stuck pretty quickly.
2. Doing quick turnarounds on the code is very time consuming especially if you don't know what you are doing.
3. The game developer wants the new card images from the third edition (which are very nice) so that means a complete redesign of the underlying graphics is in order.
4. I think the graphics engine in the game needs to be redesigned to scale with the expansions. Right now, each card has its own image, but I think this needs to be simplified to have a single card back for each color and then render the icons on top of that base image. That would (probably) speed loading times as the number of cards doubles (cities), triples (echoes), quadruples (figures), and quintuples (artifacts).

There are probably other obstacles. The biggest problem is that it is more fun to play the game than it is to develop it. :)
PurplishCat

Post by PurplishCat »

I just recently played Innovatin on BGA for the first time. Loved it. Would absolutely love to see expansions!
lesslucid

Post by lesslucid »

kermitfrog, how did you access the codebase? Just by logging in to the dev side of the site?

Sadly, even the *interface* over there defeated my efforts to try to create something... :(
heathenpoet

Post by heathenpoet »

I have no coding abilities at all, but if there was ever any tasks that could be assigned (even just writing up cards etc.) I'd be happy to help. Used to play Echoes on the Isotropic page but it'd be great to play on here!
Micah Stairs

Post by Micah Stairs »

I'm quite interested in adding an expansion to Innovation. I've taking a look at the dev studio and the existing codebase and I think I can probably do it.

My first step will be to refresh the existing graphics. How do I go about getting the latest graphics from the publisher?
Micah Stairs

Post by Micah Stairs »

Just to add an update here, I've gotten the new images from the game designer (as well as permission to add expansions).

I'm working with a few others, and the graphic refresh is coming along well. I'd expect it should be launched by November at the latest. After that, we will be working on implementing the Artifacts Expansion! Our team has good momentum so I expect the probability of that expansion being launched is probably 80%.

If you're interested in helping in any way, send me a message! We have a Discord server and a GitHub repo that I will get you connected with.
mccorkleknight

Post by mccorkleknight »

How can we help? I'm excited about some of the expansions and would love to see Echos and Figures added.
keirdre

Post by keirdre »

How's it going Micah? I'm really looking forward these updates!

Return to “Innovation”