2v2 for Two Players

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
vigorousRoll

2v2 for Two Players

Post by vigorousRoll »

I've played several 2v2 team games of innovation and have greatly enjoyed them. At times, though, teammates don't get on the same page and miss out on milking some of the sweeter synergies that were available from their respective positions. It's made me wonder how cool it would be to have one player orchestrating things for both slots on his team.

So this morning when I saw that someone had created a 2v2 game for just two players, I jumped at the chance to enter. But to my chagrin, an error message popped up saying that BGA software won't accept a two player version of the 2v2 team game.

I petition you guys to make a tweak in the software that would allow 2v2 two player games. I think extra levels oi richness can be added to the Innovation experience this way. There are avenues and vectors to explore in such game elements as activating the dogmas of icon-shared cards and "i-Demand" cards that wouldn't be present in vanilla versions of two player games. There are so many two player games that end before the game reaches the higher Age cards. But in this 2v2 two player variant that I'm proposing here, those who participate in two player contests would get to see those higher Age cards more often.

Please consider this. :P
Woodruff

Re: 2v2 for Two Players

Post by Woodruff »

Hum...

This is interesting but this is more complicated to do it technically than it looks:
  • This can theorically be achieved by merging the two teamates' interface in one (with two visible hands, two score piles, etc). I am not willing to do that changes in the code because it is a lot of work. I would also like to point that the current 2v2 mode is not played often at all: 8 games in the last month while more than 9000 has been played without that option! (with 2, 3 or 4 players but no teams)
  • As you said, it might be possible for the player to get two interfaces if the BGA admins enabled to do so. But I think they would not because it will break an important website design: 1 player = 1 interface. Still, you can try to tell us directly but I think it would be far too much for this aspect in particular of this game in particular (the same argument of my first point applies here too, too few players for the 2v2 option).
  • If you are premium, maybe you can try to play without Elo and use the hotseat option? You need two accounts to achieve this though (and your opponent too).
Hope that will answer your question, sorry if I seem pessimistic...

Bye :)

Tcheby
vigorousRoll

Re: 2v2 for Two Players

Post by vigorousRoll »

Thanks for looking into it for me. I'm sorry to hear that tweaking the code would be more trouble than I had expected. I have to admit it was discouraging that no one else chimed in to say "I'd also be interested in 2v2 games being made available for two players."

But i would have been creating some 2v2 two-player tables, and I think in time folks would have come to appreciate the extra dimensions it would add.

Return to “Innovation”