anything to help to prevent blocks against 1 player without any reason ?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
garatoy

anything to help to prevent blocks against 1 player without any reason ?

Post by garatoy » 09 September 2021, 16:54

In my last game, i just experienced 2 triple dig (each time 4 pwr + 6 workers) from an engineer, preventing me to make a 2nd town the 2 times.
There was strictly no reason in the game to do that for him, i mean it wasn't granting him a town nor points for digging or network. I even think that if he played "normally" he could have been third
Nothing too bad but it's very frustrating cause it cost me the game (2nd instead of first)

So i was wondering if anyone had an idea about karma points or anything to sanction those players ?

It's not the only time it happens to me, and i'm sure i'm not the only one.
Sometimes it's ok because there are reasons behind the blocks, or you are in a 1v1 duel for the win, or the player is beginning and doesn't really know how to play, but those kinds of blocks should definitely be sanctioned, because it's anti-fairplay.

https://boardgamearena.com/6/terramysti ... =200590902

Al Menez

Re: anything to help to prevent blocks against 1 player without any reason ?

Post by Al Menez » 10 September 2021, 04:30

I think punishing this kind of player is kinda problematic. I mean, I hate when that happens as much as you do, but not every player that behaves like that does it out of malice. Sometimes, they are just new to the game (as you said) and think their best chance of winning is by undermining your game. I mean, it's bad playing, but should one be punished for playing badly? I disagree. Usually, when this happens to me, I red thumb the player (the other option btw, not reporting) and move on. Unfortunately, TM is the kind of game that rewards whoever is the most unscathed by the disruption of others at the end of the game. However, as you get to play with more experienced players, it gets to be less of a problem as every disruption is heavily calculated, because messing with others just for the sake of it is the same as sharing a ride to the bottom of the podium. Anyway, if you really feel like reporting, I think Kingmaking seems the most appropriate, as the blocker is indirectly shifting the balance in favour of the other unhurt players.

Ranior

Post by Ranior » 10 September 2021, 12:24

I agree with Al--we shouldn't try to create a system that punishes this behavior. Many players are not good enough to really understand the effect of their moves, and inherent to multiplayer interactive games like this are elements of kingmaking. Every move will impact who is winning. Some will be more overtly harming and shifting things, but sometimes it is a good move to mess with opponents in Terra Mystica. It's hard to tell newer players where the line is with when it does or does not make sense to do various things.

I also agree that if you just don't want to play with that player again, given them a red thumb and just avoiding them is a reasonable plan.

Finally, I do also agree that you won't see this particularly often, especially if you filter opponents for good reputation players that also have decent ratings (good and above). That will keep out most of the overtly terrible swingy moves at the end of games.

garatoy

Post by garatoy » 10 September 2021, 18:09

Ok, thx for ur answers guys. I think i overreacted a bit cause i was still a bit tilted.
In the fond, i think u're right, sanctionning those kind of moves is difficult and could be problematic.

I had forget we can manage options to only play with players with an average level close to ours, so I changed it. Thx for the reminder !
I hope it'll help to avoid those kind of players. I also noticed globally higher rated players are more sympathetic, and for example would less randomly block someone because they are losing.

I also red thumb players who do those kinds of moves, but seems like we'll never see the end of it ! :)

Return to “Terra Mystica”