Confused about "Long Way" on terraforming

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
tabicat

Confused about "Long Way" on terraforming

Post by tabicat »

I'm trying to learn how to play Terra Mystica. I've attached a screen shot that I don't understand.
screen_shot_2019-03-10_at_10.39.48_pm.jpg
screen_shot_2019-03-10_at_10.39.48_pm.jpg (198.25 KiB) Viewed 4175 times
I'm playing the Mermaids. According to my terraforming cycle, I can transfer from Forest to Lakes (my home territory) in one step.

So what does the top bar mean? What does "Long way" mean, and why does it show more than 1 step, when all I need is 1 step to get to Lakes?
N_Faker

Re: Confused about "Long Way" on terraforming

Post by N_Faker »

Details on using Spades
You do not need to transform a Terrain space into your Home terrain, you may stop at any other type of terrain (e.g. if you can not afford more Spades). However, during their turns, your opponents may claim that Terrain space for themselves. (Terrain spaces with Terrain tiles on them but no Structures are considered unoccupied.)

- Page 10 - http://www.feuerland-spiele.de/dateien/ ... N_1.0_.pdf
---
You are not restricted to directly terraform toward your Home Terrain.
The 'Long Way' option allows you to use an excessive number of spades to terraform, which allows you to score additional points with the "Action phase: Get 2 additional Victory points for each Spade when using them." Scoring tile.
diamant

Post by diamant »

tabicat wrote:I'm trying to learn how to play Terra Mystica. I've attached a screen shot that I don't understand.

I'm playing the Mermaids. According to my terraforming cycle, I can transfer from Forest to Lakes (my home territory) in one step.

So what does the top bar mean? What does "Long way" mean, and why does it show more than 1 step, when all I need is 1 step to get to Lakes?
According to the Transformation cycle, you can transform Forest to Lake with one spade counterclockwise, or with 6 spades clockwise.
In most cases, the player chooses to spend the smallest number of spades, i. e. the shorter way. In rare cases, the player can get some benefit (e. g. VPs) in choosing a higher number of spades, i. e. the long way : the matching transformations are not usually displayed, because this could lead to errors.
tabicat

Post by tabicat »

Ah, I didn't notice that I could click on the actual terrain that I want to transform into. Now it all makes sense. Thank you!
Exkalipoor

Post by Exkalipoor »

Aside from the mentioned scoring tile, Halflings, Darklings, Dwarfes and Fakirs can get points for digging itself, so they may not care to dig the shortes way possible. It is also possible to stall and dig slowly to change the passing order so that the players get different round bonus cards. It is the exception, though.

Return to “Terra Mystica”